Discussion Board

Package file structure - pointer needed.

Hi everyone,

I want to get a structure for my sis file that allows me to express sign certian parts of my application instead of doing a certified sign every time. My current installation file contains the following:

* Application server - Has certain caps including MultimediaDD.
    * Application - Has no caps.
    * Resource files for application (including languages)
    * txt file with settings.

Since I'm using MultimediaDD I know that my server needs to be signed through Certified signed, but I would like to in future updates be able to run the application through express sign which would update the application, language files (add more language files) and settings.

What would be the optimal package/sis file split up for this? Would it be possible to update the application (or some parts of it) through PU package type?

Thanks in advance

Marcin Pogorzelski

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Package file structure - pointer needed.

hi XXmapoXX, because symbian limit, so you can split your apps in 2 package.

one is app server, and 2nd is app.
    app server can silent install app.
    so, user only install app server sis,
    app server silent install app, download and upgrade app.

language and setting can also download from internet.
    ----------------------------
    坚持学习, 坚持编码
    http://www.devdiv.net/
    qxiaoyuan

Ok, so if I understood you correctly I should:
    * Create one SIS-file containing the application, resources and settings.
    * Create one SIS-file containing the server and embedding the application SIS.

The benefit from this would be that the server can install the application SIS silently. I can later update the application with a new Application SIS-file.
    Let me know if the is not correctly understood.

Now to my question:
    Using the structure described above, if I have updated my application SIS-file and would like to start distributing the new application (together with the old server) wouldn't I need to re-sign the server (meaning that I need to perform a new Certified Signed)?

Thanks in advance

BR

Marcin

Nokia Developer Moderator

Why would you have to resign a SIS file which hasn't been touched?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I would need to resign it if I would like to make application updates and deliver the whole package as one sis file.
    Since the server sis has the application as an embedded sis file.

That would occur if I would like to deliver the same server but different have application updates / changes in UI due to requirements for example languages, menu options etc... I would like to avoid if possible to delivery serveral sis files. Hence it would be nice to have the option to have the server signed, but be able to express sign the applicaiton when needed and deliver them both as one compound sis file containing embedded sis files.

Thanks in advance.

//Marcin

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by XXmapoXX View Post
    I would need to resign it if I would like to make application updates and deliver the whole package as one sis file.
    Since the server sis has the application as an embedded sis file.

That would occur if I would like to deliver the same server but different have application updates / changes in UI due to requirements for example languages, menu options etc... I would like to avoid if possible to delivery serveral sis files. Hence it would be nice to have the option to have the server signed, but be able to express sign the applicaiton when needed and deliver them both as one compound sis file containing embedded sis files.

Thanks in advance.

//Marcin
    Now I see that you've got it wrong in the previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by XXmapoXX View Post
    Ok, so if I understood you correctly I should:
    * Create one SIS-file containing the application, resources and settings.
    * Create one SIS-file containing the server and embedding the application SIS.
    The ideas is that you have a capability rich server that needs to be signed and a client application which does not require any signing.

You cannot have that application embedded as unsingned SIS in the signed server SIS, Symbian Signed will not accept that (and it makes no sense). What you can have is the signed server SIS embedded in the unsinged application sis.

This way, you can make as many changes to the application and release it with the unchanged server without aditional signing.

You only need to re-sign the server if there are changes in it and therefore a new SIS file must be generated.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for the response, I think I got a good grip on the structure that I'm going to use now.

BR

Marcin