Discussion Board

Angry Series 40 6th Edition - List.IMPLICIT Compiling Error

Hi all,

I get the following error when compiling with the new Series 40 6th Edition v0.9 SDK:
    Code:
    class file for javax.microedition.lcdui.ChoiceVector not found
    super("Contactlist", List.IMPLICIT);
    1 error
    Does anyone else have similar problems?
    Last edited by Patois; 2008-12-04 at 08:09. Reason: Clear up title
    It looks bad. But we should be able to complete our mission if we just keep the calm, like the beautiful Mediterranean Beaver fish...

Super Contributor

Re: Series 40 6th Edition

Where did you find ChoiceVector as an LCDUI class? It isn't listed in the package features list:
    http://www.j2medev.com/api/midp/java...e-summary.html

I have the same problem.
    Create project in NetBeans 6.5. Using "Java Platform Micro Edition SDK 3.0 Early Access" and Run - no problems
    Switch to "SDK Series 40 6th Edition" and Run:
    Code:
    ...\HistoryScreen.java:62: cannot access javax.microedition.lcdui.ChoiceVector
                    super(MyME.APP_NAME + " History", List.IMPLICIT);
    snippet of code:
    Code:
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.*;
    public class HistoryScreen extends List {
    	/**
    	 * @param midlet The MIDlet instance.
    	 */
    	public HistoryScreen(MyME midlet)
    	{
    		super(MyME.APP_NAME + " History", List.IMPLICIT);

addCommand(MyME.COMMAND_BACK);
    // ***  
    public class MyME extends MIDlet implements CommandListener, Runnable {
    public static final String APP_NAME = "MyME";
    Where did SDK Series 40 6th Edition find ChoiceVector as an LCDUI class?

P.S.
    Sony Ericsson SDK 2.5.0.3 - as well without problems
    Last edited by Skynin; 2008-12-02 at 14:36.

That is indeed exactly what's going on. Compiling a MIDlet which uses a List and especially the List.IMPLICIT option (which I believe is derived from the Choice class) generates a ChoiceVector not found error in the new S40 6th Edition SDK when compiling in Netbeans 6.5.

I have no problems at all in the S40 5th Edition FP1 SDK or whatsoever. The compiled JAR file loads perfectly fine in the S40 6th standalone, but when compiling and running the error occurs.

My solution is to compile using the S40 5th FP1 SDK and load the JAR file in the standalone version, but I hope this bug(?) gets fixed in future versions.
    It looks bad. But we should be able to complete our mission if we just keep the calm, like the beautiful Mediterranean Beaver fish...

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

"I have no problems at all in the S40 5th Edition FP1 SDK or whatsoever. The compiled JAR file loads perfectly fine in the S40 6th standalone, but when compiling and running the error occurs"

Compiled jar file loads perfectly fine means - Using what it was compliled if the same gives error when compiling and running?

We tried with couple of previous Series 40 SDK's as well in S60 SDK's - Even it fails there during compilation.

Can you give reference where did you find this class or is it user defined class?

Thanks

Re: Series 40 6th Edition - compiling problem

OK, just so we're clear...

The following takes place between compiling and running:

I'm using Netbeans 6.5. I have the Nokia Series 40 6th Edition SDK installed and readily configured with Netbeans. I have JDK 5 and JDK 6 installed, but am using JDK 6.

I have written some code. The code works, at least when compiling on some other SDK than the S40 6th. This is the startup code for the class that causes problems:

Code:
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.Command;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.CommandListener;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.List;
    import javax.microedition.pim.*;

public class Contactlist extends List implements CommandListener
    {
        static public final javax.microedition.lcdui.Command cmdBack = new Command("Back", Command.BACK, 0);

public boolean contactsInitialised  = false;
        public boolean contactsLoaded       = false;

public ContactLijst(HoofdMenu hfdmn)
        {
            super("Contactlist", List.IMPLICIT);
            this.hoofdmenu = hfdmn;
            this.addCommand(cmdBack);
            setCommandListener(this);
            setFitPolicy(List.TEXT_WRAP_ON);
            contactsLoaded = loadMyContacts();
        }
    When I hit the RUN button, Netbeans starts compiling the source code using the S40 6th compiler and notices an error:

Code:
    Created dir: C:\Projects\Netbeans\blabla\build\compiled
    do-compile:
    Compiling 10 source files to C:\Projects\Netbeans\blabla\build\compiled
    C:\Projects\Netbeans\blabla\src\package\Contactlist.java:54: cannot access javax.microedition.lcdui.ChoiceVector
            super("Contactlijst", List.IMPLICIT);
    1 error
    Since ChoiceVector is not a class, at least it's not mentioned in any MIDP 1.0 or 2.0 profile, I wonder what's going on...

But... When I start up the stand-alone version of the SDK, and I load the JAR file that I compiled with the Series 40 5th Edition FP1 SDK, and load it into the phone, all is well.

My best guess is the emulator somehow got confused about the List.IMPLICIT option and is searching for it in an unknown class. I'd say the compiling sequence in the emulator is bugged, or Netbeans and the SDK have some issues regarding the List.IMPLICIT option.

Anyway, I've dealt with it, so it's nothing more but an annoyance.

Greetings!

Re: Series 40 6th Edition - compiling problem

I've fiddled with this a little bit and my guess is that List.IMPLICIT is not the problem. I've replaced List.IMPLICIT to (int)3 (which is its value as described in the documentation) still to no avail. My guess is that it is not calling the constructor of List (the super class), instead it wrongly believes ChoiceVector to be the super class which doesn't exist. Now why would it believe that is anyones's guess.

Meanwhile, I'm using S40 5th Edition with FP1.1 without any issues.
    Last edited by dewtea; 2008-12-04 at 12:12.

Unhappy Re: Series 40 6th Edition

Does anyone solve this problem? I have the same problem with NetBeans 6.5 and SDK series 40 6th edtion.

super(Local.TITLE, IMPLICIT);

Dear conbo,

I'm afraid this hasn't been solved as yet. You might want to try 5th Edition S40 SDK with FP 1. I'm using the same as an alternative without any issues. Only some Nokia expert can throw some light on it for which I'm waiting alongside you.

Regards,
    Muhammad Waqar Baig

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello All,

Nokia experts have identified this issue. The sw fix can be downloaded from http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Image:Midp21.zip

Instructions to use the sw fix:

1. Unzip the Midp21.zip

2. Replace the unzipped midp21.jar with the existing midp21.jar file in C:\Nokia\Devices\S40_6th_Edition_SDK\lib

The fix is for MIDP 2.1 specifically, so remember to set the device profile accordingly before each build.

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Thanks for the tip! That solved the problem alright. Hope there will be a MIDP 2.0 patch available soon...

Nokia Developer Expert

UPDATE: This will be fixed for the Series 40 6th Edition v1.0 SDK.

The only solution for the affected, Series 40 6th Edition v0.9 SDK is as defined on my 2009-01-02 comment.

Forum Nokia Wiki Known Issue: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ition_v0.9_SDK

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Thanks all for replies and patches!