Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Encoding WAV PCM file or data

I have memory buffer full of audio data in 16 bit PCM format. I can write this to WAV file and everything OK, but naturally the file is very big.

What is the preferred solution in S60 v3.x for encoding this raw sample data to some common audio file format (e.g. MP4 AAC)? I didnt find any easy way doing this kind of stuff. CMdaAudioConvertUtility seems to be deprecated (?), and CMMFCodec seems only to handle the raw data conversion but not the file format side. Is there some other API for writing converted data to files?

Alternatively, is there any easy way to convert WAV file to e.g. MP4 AAC file?

Re: Encoding WAV PCM file or data

Hi,

Where does the data come from? The best solution is usually to record in the compressed format in the first place, although that isn't always possible, depending on what you're doing.

Encoding via CMMFCodec is the tricky part, writing a header for the file format is usually pretty easy.

I don't think the converter utility is officially deprecated, you'll probably just find that it doesn't work for many formats.

Another possibility is using RMMFController - you'd have to experiment to see what works but it's just possible that you can add a file rather than the audio input as a source for "recording".

Sorcery

Regular Contributor

The audio sample data is generated by my own application so I just have it in my memory buffer.

Regular Contributor

Whee.. \o/ I just managed to do it (just before my head exploded).

I converted the sample data using CMMFCodec::NewL(KMMFFourCCCodePCM16, KMMFFourCCCodeAAC) and just wrote the destination buffer to file. The key was to use streamable ADTS format for the AAC data and any file format headers were not needed. Just name the output file as filename.aac and it's playable.