Discussion Board

Unhappy Is a BUG of Embedded SIS?

Hi Guys

There is a problem about Embedded SIS in my project. Assumption I have 2 SISs named A.sis and B.sis, they all use glib.sis for Open C stuff. The glib.sis is not installed separately, it is embedded in A.sis and B.sis. If there is not glib.sis in the target device, it would be installed with A.sis(Assumption I install A.sis first, and then B.sis). The following installed sis doesn't install glib.sis, all because I use a function "package", it will check whether your specific sis is installed or not. I also declare dependency on glib.sis which A.sis and B.sis depend. Here the problem comes. When I remove A.sis, the glib.sis will be removed together with A.sis, even though B.sis depends on it, so that the problem causes that the B cannot start because of leak of necessary lib. On the help of S60 3rd FP1, Nokia says "An embedded SIS file is not removed if another installed component has declared a dependency upon it". I don't think it works.

I don't know which side is wrong, Nokia or Me. Please help me. Thank you very much.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is a BUG of Embedded SIS?

Using such conditional parts (package or exists) in .pkg-s often result in strange outcome.
    What happens if you simply try unconditionally embedding glib.sis into both a and b, then embed them in your main installer file?

This is a known bug in S60 3rd Edition right up to late firmware builds for FP1 devices if I remember correctly. The dependency checking doesn't work for embedded SIS files, it's not your fault.

There is a workaround (which I think was documented on the Psiloc blog) involving copying the SIS file to the device rather than embedding it and then running a simple installer program to launch a separate install for it. This is just to avoid the user having to install two packages separately but that is effectively what it is doing.

As far as I know this bug is fixed on all FP2 and later devices.

Sorcery

Thank you very much. I am going to do it in an alternative way. The workaround you told me is good choice. It is to my surprise that nokia made this obvious mistake. There are so many devices with S60 FP1 in the world.