Discussion Board

I am trying to get client rect except of soft key area, is there any way?

Hi!
    I am a novice on Symbian and English.
    Don't blame for me too much...

I am trying to get rect of client window rect except for soft key area.

SDK says about ClientRect() "ClientRect does not includes the space available for UI components like the menu bar."

But I can't get the rect of client area which does not include soft key area, using ClientRect() method.

Is there any way?

Thanks for your attention.

SDK says below
    ClientRect()
    IMPORT_C TRect ClientRect() const;
    Description
    Gets the area of the screen available to the application for drawing.

This does not include the space available for UI components like the menu bar.
    The co-ordinates of the rectangle are relative to the whole screen area so, for example, the co-ordinate for the top, left point of the area available for drawing may be (0, 45).

Return value
    TRect The area of the screen available to the application for drawing.

Super Contributor

Re: I am trying to get client rect except of soft key area, is there any way?

Hi,

it depends when the ClientRect() method is called - if you call it in the CEikAppUi derived class - then it returns you the whole area minus the top most status pane. So on the 240x320 resolution screen it will give you rectangle (0,59, 240, 320).
    If you call ClientRect() in the CAknView derived class then you will get the rectangle without the status pane and CBA (if displayed) - it gives you area you are responseible to draw in. If we follow the example, the the rectangle will be (0,59,240,293).

BR
    STeN

Thanks for your reply.

I made a Korean SIP(Single input method DLL program not an application which is substitute of AKNFep) which includes full screen input panel.
    When activate it on the "Messaging -> New massage" it returns (0,92, 360,518) on the 360x640 resolution screen. That is exactly what I want. But other applications (i.e Notes, Create contact) return (0,92, 360,640)

I thinks that a text field of "Messaging" includes control pane, and ClientRect() method returns whole area minus the top most status pane and bottom control pane.
    But other applicaiton does not includes control pane, and return whole area minus just the top most status pane.

S60 SDK is hard for me. ㅜ.ㅜ

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can still experiment with AknLayoutUtils::LayoutMetricsRect and check what it says.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.
    It really works well.

Have a goog day.