Discussion Board

Client closes down for unknown reason

Hi,

I have an application which streams video on a N95. When starting the camera (by opening the camera lid) the application shuts down for some reason.

I've figured out that the reason is probably because the device runs low on memory, and since the camera has higher priority the system shuts down my application.

Two questions:

1. I've tried calling CEikonEnv::Static()->SetSystem(ETrue) so that camera does not start instead of my application gets shut down. That worked exactly once, now it's back to normal i.e. my application gets shut down, anyone knows why?

2. I like to get verified that it is indeed the memory that runs low so I've tried to listen to some system events by overriding some functions. HandleError(), HandleWsEventL(), HandleSystemEventL() in CEikAppUi don't get called when my app shuts down. CEikAppUi::HandleCommandL() gets EEikCmdExit command, but no reason for the shutdown is provided. CEikDocument::SaveL() really should be called according the the function description, but isn't. Does anyone know of addional ways to find out why my application gets shut down?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Client closes down for unknown reason

For getting some idea about the cause for surprise shutdowns, you should enable the panic codes: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    For getting some idea about the cause for surprise shutdowns, you should enable the panic codes: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code
    Thanks, but the application doesn't panic, I get the EEikCmdExit command and exit gracefully. The problem is that I don't know exactly why Symbian tells me to shut down. I have a feeling that it's because of memory running low, but I would like to know for sure. None of the overridden function I mention does the trick.

Nokia Developer Moderator

you could try out Y-Tasks::Trace to see how the device memory is doing, at least would show you if it is caused by low memory situation.