Discussion Board

Question Trying to build Internet Radio for S60 [Open Source]

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed SDK for S60 3rd Edition and Carbide and am trying to compile the code for Internet Radio. It compiles fine and I manage to get both ARMV5 and GCCE UREL builds but at the point of creating the .SIS file the output is a very small .SIS file of 1kb size. Whereas the .SIS file provided prebuilt is about 10 times bigger. Any ideas why this happens? I've checked the paths to all the needed files in the .pkg file and all of them exist.

And there is no reported error though after running:
    createsis create S60InternetRadio_30.pkg

The only problem is that the resulting signed .SIS file is of size 1,148bytes.

One more thing.. When I try to create the package file from Carbide everything seems fine:

***Building "S60InternetRadio_30.pkg" for project "S60InternetRadio" and configuration "Phone Release (ARMV5) [S60_3rd]".

***Invoking makesis.exe ....
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\tools\makesis.exe -dC:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\S60InternetRadio_30.pkg C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\test.sis
    Processing C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\S60InternetRadio_30.pkg...
    Created C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\test.sis

***Invoking signsis.exe....
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\tools\signsis.exe -s C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\test.sis C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\S60InternetRadio_30.sisx "C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\cert-gen.cer" "C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\S60InternetRadio\sis\key-gen.key" lalakis

***SIS Creation Complete

Total Time: 5 sec

(lalakis is the passphrase)

I would appreciate any help on this.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by unpaiktable; 2008-12-04 at 20:37.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Trying to build Internet Radio for S60 [Open Source]

The Symbian toolchain works in a causal way. So if you are interested in why the .sis/x file is so small, feel free to check what files S60InternetRadio_30.pkg refers, and verify their lengths.

Question Re: Trying to build Internet Radio for S60 [Open Source]

Thanks for that, but I haven't tried running the application on a phone to see if it works so I assumed that being the file so small means that something went wrong in the creation of the .sis file. And the fact that it's a fraction smaller than what it should have been makes me wonder. Any ideas? It would be helpful if anyone could try and built the project Internet Radio on their setup and let me know if it works and what were the steps to a successful creation of a .sis file.

Thanks so much for your time

If the signed file has 1.5 KB with the certificate itself adding about 1 KB then you have all the reasons for being suspicious.

You will have to compare the size of the SIS files between GCCE and ARMV5 builds, the later should be significantly smaller but not that small as you currently seem to have.

Then, as suggested by wizard_hu_ have a look at the *.pkg file. Have you modified it between builds? The version in the source code package would by default package the GCCE UREL build, regardless of the build configuration ... Do you even have the RVCT compiler?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Question Re: Trying to build Internet Radio for S60 [Open Source]

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    If the signed file has 1.5 KB with the certificate itself adding about 1 KB then you have all the reasons for being suspicious.

You will have to compare the size of the SIS files between GCCE and ARMV5 builds, the later should be significantly smaller but not that small as you currently seem to have.

Then, as suggested by wizard_hu_ have a look at the *.pkg file. Have you modified it between builds? The version in the source code package would by default package the GCCE UREL build, regardless of the build configuration ... Do you even have the RVCT compiler?
    Thank you Itomuta for your prompt reply and pointers. I will try and give you as much information as possible. When I run armcc I get the help page of RVCT saying: ARM/Thumb C/C++ Compiler, RVCT2.2 [Build 616], which means that this is not a problem.

I haven't made any changes to the pkg file, apart from replacing some line brakes with spaces because the tools returned a file I/O error on it.

My pkg file looks like this:

; S60InternetRadio.pkg
    ;
    ;
    ;Language - standard language definitions
    &EN
    ;
    ; Application UID
    #{"S60 Internet Radio"},(0xE0005BC6),1,5,0
    ;
    ;Supports Series 60 v 3.x
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    ;
    ; Localised Vendor Name
    %{"Forum Nokia"}
    ;
    ; Unique Vendor name
    :"Forum Nokia"
    ;
    ; Files to install
    ;"\epoc32\release\armv5\urel\S60InternetRadio.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\S60InternetRadio.exe" "\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\S60InternetRadio.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\S60InternetRadio.exe" "\epoc32\data\Z\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio.rsc"-"!:\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio.rsc" "\epoc32\data\Z\private\10003a3f\apps\S60InternetRadio_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\S60InternetRadio_reg.rsc" "\epoc32\data\Z\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio_aif.mif"-"!:\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio_aif.mif"

I tried looking for each and every one of the files listed above in their paths and the results were:

Directory of C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\release\armv5\urel
    04/12/2008 17:16 8,015 S60InternetRadio.exe

Directory of C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\release\gcce\urel
    04/12/2008 17:20 27,508 S60InternetRadio.exe

Directory of C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\data\Z\resource\apps
    04/12/2008 17:20 621 S60InternetRadio.RSC

Directory of C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\data\Z\private\10003a3f\apps
    04/12/2008 17:20 111 S60InternetRadio_reg.RSC

Directory of C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\data\Z\resource\apps
    04/12/2008 17:20 5,862 S60InternetRadio_aif.mif

Truth is that these sizes don't add up to 1.5kb.
    What I also tried is to change the .pkg file to have the complete path to the files listed, for example: \Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\release\armv5\urel\S60InternetRadio.exe

I would much appreciate your help with this.

Thank you

; is a comment in .pkg files, so it may happen that your installer does not install executables, and you are using some built-in app or so.
    Also note that it is hard to decode what you have sent as .pkg file, is it sure that the section
    ; Files to install
    ;"\epoc32\release\armv5\urel\S60InternetRadio.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\S60InternetRadio.exe" "\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\S60InternetRadio.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\S60InternetRadio.exe" "\epoc32\data\Z\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio.rsc"-"!:\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio.rsc" "\epoc32\data\Z\private\10003a3f\apps\S60InternetRadio_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\S60InternetRadio_reg.rsc" "\epoc32\data\Z\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio_aif.mif"-"!:\resource\apps\S60InternetRadio_aif.mif"
    appears in exactly this format? I have some doubts if makesis would accept it.

Thumbs up Re: Trying to build Internet Radio for S60 [Open Source]

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    ; is a comment in .pkg files, so it may happen that your installer does not install executables, and you are using some built-in app or so.
    Also note that it is hard to decode what you have sent as .pkg file, is it sure that the sectionappears in exactly this format? I have some doubts if makesis would accept it.
    Thanks for your help - I managed to compile it and run it on my phone! Appreciate it. Now my next aim is to add WMA streaming support. If you think you can help, please see this thread.

Thanks once again!