Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

N96 + CCamera + +Autofocus

Hi,

I have some problems with N96 + CCamera + Autofocus.

As mentioned here:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=495688
    N96 doesn't support New2L like other S60 3rd FP2 devices so we have to use NewL to get camera working. Now CCamera has two NewL functions
    Code:
    static IMPORT_C CCamera *NewL(MCameraObserver &aObserver, TInt aCameraIndex);
    static IMPORT_C CCamera *NewL(MCameraObserver2 &aObserver, TInt aCameraIndex, TInt aPriority);
    I'd like to use NewL with MCameraObserver2, it constructs OK, but when I try start camera with StartViewFinderBitmapsL() my app crashes with KERN-EXEC 3.
    If I use NewL with MCameraObserver everything goes fine and I can construct CCameraAdvancedSettings to get autofocus support, but autofocus cannot call HandleEvent from MCameraObserver2.

So my question is how to support autofocus in N96?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: N96 + CCamera + +Autofocus

According to some other threads the MCameraObserver2-variant is not available on most (all?) Nokia devices.
    Also note that camera-stuff does not start with "StartViewFinderXy", it starts with Reserve, then PowerOn (from ReserveComplete), then you can StartViewFinderBitmapsL in PowerOnComplete.

According to some other threads the MCameraObserver2-variant is not available on most (all?) Nokia devices.
    I have used MCameraObserver2 with other S60 3rd Fp2 devices (N85,N79) and it works fine.

Also note that camera-stuff does not start with "StartViewFinderXy", it starts with Reserve, then PowerOn (from ReserveComplete), then you can StartViewFinderBitmapsL in PowerOnComplete.
    This is not issue here, i know how camera-stuff work, I just left it out to simplify my question.
    Issue is how to get autofocus work on N96
    Last edited by jascco; 2008-12-05 at 13:24.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Any difference if you use the New2L, as recommended in the Symbian Onboard Camera Advanced Settings API article?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Any difference if you use the New2L, as recommended in the Symbian Onboard Camera Advanced Settings API article?
    N96 doesn't support New2L as mentioned here:

Regular Contributor

Hi Jassco,
    What is the image format used by your Camera App for N96??
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gmsk19 View Post
    Hi Jassco,
    What is the image format used by your Camera App for N96??
    have not checked but mostly JPEG

Q: How to support autofocus in N96?

Any clues?

Thanks in Advance.

There are only 2 official interfaces to use autofocus - you *MIGHT* (I haven't tried it) be able to use the older one on N96, since it uses the old observer interface.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...in_S60_devices

If not then you'd have to try a technical support request and possible partnering request to get this.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jascco View Post
    Hi,

I have some problems with N96 + CCamera + Autofocus.

As mentioned here:
    N96 doesn't support New2L like other S60 3rd FP2 devices so we have to use NewL to get camera working. Now CCamera has two NewL functions
    Code:
    static IMPORT_C CCamera *NewL(MCameraObserver &aObserver, TInt aCameraIndex);
    static IMPORT_C CCamera *NewL(MCameraObserver2 &aObserver, TInt aCameraIndex, TInt aPriority);
    I'd like to use NewL with MCameraObserver2, it constructs OK, but when I try start camera with StartViewFinderBitmapsL() my app crashes with KERN-EXEC 3.
    If I use NewL with MCameraObserver everything goes fine and I can construct CCameraAdvancedSettings to get autofocus support, but autofocus cannot call HandleEvent from MCameraObserver2.

So my question is how to support autofocus in N96?

Thanks
    Autofocus is supported on the N96 through the MCamAutoFocusObserver using CCamAutoFocus::NewL (this is what I have used).

Except from that jassco thread is correct:
    N96 doesn't support New2L as mentioned here:

B.R
    Consultant Sweden

jens.karlsson:
    I have the camera working on N96, as you've described above, though the AutoFocus does not work. It did not crash, and the viewfinder is active.

Were you successful in making N96 autofocus? i.e. the camera does not focus and it does on N95 for example.

Thanks!

Or

Lightbulb Re: N96 + CCamera + +Autofocus

I've wrote application, that used camera and autofocus and worked on all s60 3rd edition devices (Symbian 9.1 - Symbian 9.3).

The thing is that MCameraObserver2, CCamera::New2L and CCameraAdvancedSettings are supported only on Symbian 9.3 devices (such as N78, 6220 Classic, the newest E75 and so on) except N96!.
    N96-device has camera from old platform (Symbian 9.2), so you have to use old camera interface (CCamera::NewL, CCamAutoFocus, MCameraObserver) in your application.

Why does Symbian 9.3 device has the 9.2 camera interface? I think, N96 has inherited that interface from N95.

Regular Contributor

Post Re: N96 + CCamera + +Autofocus

Worth checking out:

Forum Nokia Camera example has been updated:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...a_Example.html

It uses a wrapper library that hides compatibility problems between different S60 devices/platform versions. Autofocus is supported, now you can use the same API for all devices, including N96.

Hi all,

I'm using the Camera wrapper in order to capture images and process them on the N96.
    The capturing mode will be initiated by only one single touch button. My problem is that after the first Capture I lose the focus.
    I would like to take several and successive images without focusing between each capture.

Is there a way to set the Autofocus once, and take those images based on the Focus without changing it between two captures?

Thanks for your kind help
    Pierre

It's a good question, which probably cannot be answered easily. The underlying mechanism is hidden behind the wrapper - be it the CCamera2 or AF extension.

I don't understand why the CameraWrapper example is distributed in binary form rather than in source form. It could have answered a lot of questions as well as the ability to fix problems in the wrapper (have you tried the zoom?).