Discussion Board

Creating Access points with S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9 for Symbian

Hey

I'm doing an university assignment, and the goal of the project is to present solution to how you could ease the log on sequence on a specific network here on campus.

I can't find any examples of anyone that have created an access point with the new SDK. I have only found a lot of examples of how to create an access point with WEP settings with SDK 3.0 and I believe that it's a different process for SDK 5.0. Are there anyone who have tried it?

Another thing I wonder about is the examples of access points created with WEP. If you change this to WPA/WPA2, is there any way to set the EAP-parameters for the specific network, or is the automized if you set WPA/WPA?

Hope there will be some respons pretty quick since I'm quit stuck right now.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Creating Access points with S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9 for Symbian

Quote Originally Posted by Tommern66 View Post
    I can't find any examples of anyone that have created an access point with the new SDK. I have only found a lot of examples of how to create an access point with WEP settings with SDK 3.0 and I believe that it's a different process for SDK 5.0. Are there anyone who have tried it?
    Why do you think that? You should rather try.
    Hope there will be some respons pretty quick since I'm quit stuck right now.
    Especially if you are in a hurry.

I have tried to do it, but I'm not an expert at all in the c++, and this is not my main task of the assignment. I had just been cool to get a proper working solution.

When I tried we got errors that said it could not find variables and functions. Then i thought that was maybe so because of all the examples I have seen so far looks like it has been developed with SDK 3.0. Then maybe names have changed for SDK 5.0, and it will take me some time to get well known to that. That was why i posted a note here.

Nokia Developer Moderator

This thread is still a bit theoretical...

Anyway, if you check those examples (by the way: which? where? Wiki?), they usually say that you need extra headers from the SDK API Plug-in packs. Yet such plug-in pack is not released for the S60 5th edition SDK, but in fact you do not need any "binary" thing (.lib files), you need constants (names of database tables and columns, numbers with names, etc.), so it would be relatively safe to download an older pack, and get the necessary header files from it. If you download multiple versions, you can cross check if the constants you need have happened to change in the different S60 3rd edition releases, if they have not (which is probable, because of compatibility reasons), there are good chances for S60 5th edition too (because of compatibility reasons, once more).

I have found out that you can set some security parameters with an plugin to the S60-3rd-Edition-SDK, named S60_3rd_Ed_SDK_FP1_API_Plug-In_Pack_v2_5. Here you have WLANInfoAPI and WLANManagement where you can do some settings to an access point.

But can't find any documentation about extra authentication parameters, and as said before, I cant find any examples of anyone that have tried to program this on his/her own.

Can't find anything like this at all at the SDK 5.0, so maybe it is totally dependent of the plugin to do anything at all with access point. That plugin aint compatible with SDK5.0 just the 3.0.

Maybe I can conclude with that it is just not possible yet with the available SDK's