Discussion Board

N96 Media Recorder (CCMRMediaRecorder) bug

Hi,
    I got problem with Media Recorder API on Nokia N96 phone. My application works on all FP2 phones except the N96.

1) For resolution higher than 176x144 and call CCMRMediaRecorder::PrepareL system calls my observer method MmroPrepareComplete without any error, but a little while later system calls MmroFatalError with error -5 (KErrNotSupported).
    Even for empty MmroPrepareComplete method

2) For 176x144 resolution preparation finishes successfully, but after 2 seconds of recording image is frozen and a while later application hangs-on

I was checking it with different video/audio codecs (MPEG4/H263, AMR/ACC) and with the newest available updates, but this problem still happens. It seems to be OS bug.

Have you got any idea how to solve this problem ?

Software version: 11.101
    Software version date: 23-09-08
    Language set: 007
    Model: Nokia N96
    Type: RM-247

Best regards

Re: N96 Media Recorder (CCMRMediaRecorder) bug

Hi losbleos,

I'm wondering perhaps you can help me since no one else could help me before. You state that you are working with the Media Recorder API and that your application works on other phones except the N96. I am working on the N95 and trying to use the Media Recorder API to record and stream video. I can't get the video stream from the sink saved into a file format that can be played by the on-board player of the phone, or for that matter any player.

Can you please help me with this, my previous thread is located at http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=146688 for a more complete description of my problem.

Thank you

Hi,

You can't write retrieved data from Media Recorder API to file and play it directly. This API only give you valid MPEG4/H263 headers, but not file header format (i.e. 3GP) which you need.
    Unfortunately how I know there is no any API to create 3GP file format, so you have create it manually which seems no to be easy.
    You can always put those MPEG4/H263 data in other media container format and/or play it by your desktop application with any open source audio/video codec library.
    If you find solution for that problem, please share it

Best regards

Thanks for the reply.

What I have done to get past this is I implemented the 3GP headers on the desktop application. This is not to hard with the correct documentation. The ISO spec I used was a bit outdated (2005) but this worked for my application. I could not obtain the newest spec in time.

For anyone else trying to implement the 3GP files I will try to add the urls of the ISO specs I used (if I can find them again).

The specifications are:
    1) ISO/IEC 14496-12: "Information technology — Coding of audio-visual objects - Part 12: ISO base media file format"
    2) ETSI TS 126 244, “Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS); Transparent end-to-end Packet-switched Streaming Service (PSS); 3GPP file format (3GP) (Release 6)” (3GPP TS 26.244 Release 7)”.

Those were sufficient to combine the audio and video data into a 3GP file that is playable by VLC media player.

EDIT:
    Site for Publicly Available Standards
    http://standards.iso.org/ittf/Public...rds/index.html
    Site for ETSI specs:
    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/26-series.htm
    Last edited by thebadger; 2009-01-29 at 11:47. Reason: Added URL

Hi losbleos,

did you solve your problem with the N96 or did you conclude it is an OS bug ?

I'm trying to record video using CVideoRecorderUtility at VGA resolution (640x480) and I'have quite the same problem as you (MvruoPrepareComplete called with KErrNotSupported)...

My code works works on other FP2 phones (6210 Navigator for example).
    It also works on N96 if I set a lower resolution.
    Johann
    raujohan@gmail.com

Hi raujohan,
    i also have the same problem with on N96, did you solve your problem with N96?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by raujohan View Post
    Hi losbleos,

did you solve your problem with the N96 or did you conclude it is an OS bug ?

I'm trying to record video using CVideoRecorderUtility at VGA resolution (640x480) and I'have quite the same problem as you (MvruoPrepareComplete called with KErrNotSupported)...

My code works works on other FP2 phones (6210 Navigator for example).
    It also works on N96 if I set a lower resolution.

Hi all, but specially this post is to "losbleos" and "thebadger",

From the posts by losbleos and thebadger, it looks like you could actually get live video data from the camera and then stream it, real time, to a server. Is that correct? I don't mind if it is pure H.263 data instead of 3GP file format.
    I mean, do you need to stop recording BEFORE retrieving the captured data, then process it and send it? Or can you read the captured data WHILE the camera is recording to a buffer, without stopping the camera?

Thanks!

Luis

Got similar problem with N96. I can record video with CVideoRecorderUtility in 320x240 at 15 fps, but 640x480 at 30 fps gives me -5 (KErrNotSupported) in MVideoRecorderUtilityObserver::MvruoPrepareComplete(). It works perfectly for all other phones I tried it on though.

Anyone resolved, or got a workaround for the bug?