Discussion Board

Thread: measuring time?

Super Contributor

measuring time?

Posted by Kalevi Kivimaa, kale@iki.fi
    on January 24, 2001 at 18:37

Imagine you have a report on WAP phone including a input for travel time. Is there a way to count the ellapsed time using the clock? Say you start an activity "travel to customer" and want to report that. Instead of entering this to a form as a key in function after the travel, you would press a key to start a counter and press another key to enter the result into travel time form?

Super Contributor

RE: measuring time?

Posted by Tom O, Tom@AFPWeb.Com
    on February 03, 2001 at 01:10

I would use a SCRIPT language and process this on a Internet server -- mainly because of WAP cache issues especially with Cards and Decks. To me it would seem much more reliable to do processing on a server using a database and a scripting language where you have a better chance of getting it right and storing the results in a meaningful way.

Super Contributor

Posted by Andrew Muirhead, drinkmixes@netscape.net
    on February 01, 2001 at 23:47

To set a clock, consider using a server-side command. For example, with Active Server Pages you can use . You can set a Response.Expires where after so many minutes, the page does something.

Super Contributor

Posted by Tom O, Tom@AFPWeb.Com
    on February 02, 2001 at 01:28

The only way I know of that could be near reliable is to update a database on a server. If you store values there then you can do the math. Otherwise you will be running into cache issues, Gateway issues, etc.