Discussion Board

Angry S60 3rd Edition FP2 1.1 C/C++ API Reference

I'm looking for an API reference that I can view under non-Microsoft operating systems. The SDK contains an API reference apparently but quite stupidly it seems to be included in a cab file since once the zip file is extracted there's no sign of it.

So, anyone have a link to a pdf (or chm file if that's all that's available) API reference?

I don't have access to windows so can't try to install it and make a copy of the reference file. Also, cabextract/unshield can't seem to extract data2.cab for me (maybe because I'm using a native amd64 system) so I'm stuck.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 3rd Edition FP2 1.1 C/C++ API Reference

1) The SDK is only available for Windows thus there's no mistake about the cab file.
    2) A smart hacker like you knows of course how to use Wine (asuming you're using Linux)
    3) There is a C++ Developer Library online on Forum Nokia so you don't have to install/hack anything
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks, I wasn't aware there was an online reference. Just found it I think, so I'll take a look at that now.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    1) The SDK is only available for Windows thus there's no mistake about the cab file.
    I figured it's not a mistake, but it seems illogical to do it that way. Ideally there should be a separate download link.
    2) A smart hacker like you knows of course how to use Wine (asuming you're using Linux)
    Sure, however I don't like cluttering my drive with lots of useless files just gain access to one. Besides, I'm not sure the sdk will install under Wine and don't have the time to test.
    3) There is a C++ Developer Library online on Forum Nokia so you don't have to install/hack anything
    Again, thanks. Didn't know that. In case I found the wrong thing (I haven't looked properly yet) any chance you can provide a direct link?

edit: seems the online reference is only for 3rd edition and 3rd edition FP2. I'll have a look to see if I can find the info I want but I'd prefer access to a FP2 reference.

Here's the link

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...s_Library.html

We're trying to keep things tight and in one package. For the occasional atypical developer such as you is not very convenient of course but ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks again. Seems it's only for 3rd edition and 3rd edition FP1 only but hopefully I can still find what I want though. Looks like a nice convenient resource but would be nice if it were updated to the latest API.

As for keeping things tight, that's great. I usually prefer that over lots of separate packages but it would be nice to have the option of an "all-in-one" as well as separate packages. Though I guess the extra effort involved might not be wroth it since most people probably require every part of the SDK and a single package is more convenient in that case.

Anyway, off I go to hunt down the information I wanted.

Don't worry the info is up to date (S60 3rd Edition FP2). Btw, it will not include the Symbian SDL, for that you have to go to http://developer.symbian.com/main/documentation/sdl/
    -- Lucian

Oh, so just the "This library is for 3rd Edition and 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 platform mobile devices." statement on the main page is incorrect? Good to know.

Also thanks for pointing me to the SDL, that actually seems to be more relevant for the information I'm looking for (if RFMON can be enabled for the 802.11 device, and how).

Are you seeing the right page?

S60 3rd Edition FP2 C++ Developer's Library v2.0 (online)

This library describes the S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 implementation of the Symbian C++ technology. See the Change History section of the library for more details.
    -- Lucian

Argh, sorry, my mistake. Somehow I wound up viewing version 1.4 not 2.0

Anyway, I've had a look through that and info I'm looking for isn't in either of the versions. I'm digging through the SDL and getting a little closer to finding my answer so again thanks for posting that link second link.