Discussion Board

POI search for downloaded Nokia maps

Hi,

Is there any way for a program to search the downloaded POI present in the Nokia maps?

I've experimented with the landmark database and realised that the landmarks/POI database downloaded together with the Nokia maps are not accessible via the CPosLmDatabaseManager.

The POI I'm referring to is as follows:
    Run Nokia Maps > Search > Places > Eat&drink/Entertainment/Transport/etc..

Thank you.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: POI search for downloaded Nokia maps

AFAIK, those are propably internal ones for the Maps application, and currently there is no public APIs for the Maps application, so I would assume that there is no APIs for accessing the information either.

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

Do you know if there is any other way in order to obtain the internal API required for such function? Or when will it be released publicly?

Nokia Developer Expert

Basically Maps application is not part of S60, it is just an application that is installed into the device, I would suppose that any API used internnally in that application would not be covered by the normal API partnering, which indeed is only focusing on Nokia internal S60 C++ APIs.

So I would also suppose that any parts of such application would be ever included in the open sourcing too easily, thus I would have too high hopes on getting any APIs.

All and all, Maps is developed by a company that is owned (AFAIK) by Nokia, so if you are willing to try (I would suppose that it takes a bit of time to find out, and that the answer is NO anyway), you could always open a technical support case and ask if they could locate the required APIs for your use case, and then they could also do pre-check whether there would be anything that could potentially be partnerable.

okay, thanks again. ^^

guess i'll have to find a workaround for this...=)