Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Symbian Certified Signed and additional (external) parameters.

The problem:
    We have an application that needs a lot of manufacturer-approved capabilities. It also need to start up on boot. So we figured we could use another sis that has the signed application as an embedded sis and adds a few files with the additional parameters. But then we found that auto-start doesn't work for embedded sis files.

Does this mean we'll have to send the application to be signed again every time we want to change some of these parameters (and this will probably be necessary for every different operator we deploy with)? Is there any way to circumvent this problem?

With Java apps, these parameters would go in the jad file, so we could change them as often as we like without having to send the app to certification again. But Symbian doesn't have jad files.

Any ideas?

shmoove

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian Certified Signed and additional (external) parameters.

Hi,

I was facing very similar problem as you. I have used the manufaturer capabilities and for every change (in configuration, branding, icons, etc.) I was forced to sign the sis file again. The only possibility I have found was to make the separate self signed sis file with the configuration or use OMA-DM mechanism for the client configuration.

On the other side costs for signing are not so high and if this is software really for the operator I think it will pay back.

BR
    STeN

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by stenlik View Post
    Hi,
    The only possibility I have found was to make the separate self signed sis file with the configuration
    What do you mean by separate? Do you mean having the user install two separate sis files?

Quote Originally Posted by stenlik View Post
    or use OMA-DM mechanism for the client configuration.
    By this you mean basically have the app download it's configuration parameters separately after installation, right?

Thanks,
    shmoove

Nokia Developer Moderator

A signed SIS can be embedded inside a self-signed sis thus the user will only handle one SIS file.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    A signed SIS can be embedded inside a self-signed sis thus the user will only handle one SIS file.
    But that breaks the auto-start functionality, which is essential for our application.

shmoove

Nokia Developer Moderator

"No but yeah, but no but yeah but no but yeah but no because ..."

A signed sis file that installs a launcher could be installed on demand (like when auto-start should be turned on of the first time). The uninstallation of that sis file might become an issue to solve next.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Hi shmoove,

1/ Yes I mean installation of the separate configuration sis file - this is actually not so good solution for end users.

2/ Yes it means that the application is downloading the configuration. The Symbian OS provides pretty good API for the OMA DM, so implementing it on client side is quite easy - anyway you need server to deliver configuration information. You can look for the one, which is called Funambol; it's free open source solution.

3/ I did not fully understand how to avoid breaking auto start functionality when embedding the signed sis file into self signed sis file???

BR
    STeN

Super Contributor

For 3/ you create a signed sis file which only has the autostart rsc file, then when your application is launched for the first time, you use the silent install api to install the sis file.

It breaks the dependency as the sis file is not part of any other package but it fixes the autostart issue.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]