Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Nokia 5800 and "Expired certificate" error

Hi, are there any known problems with the 5800 phones and installing applications?

Every .sis file I've tried to install has resulted in an "Expired certificate" error, but I've checked and double checked the dates on the phone and my PC, and it's not expired! It's not even close to expiring. I tried creating a new certificate valid from today, it still fails. I've tried the usual trick of changing the phone date forward and backwards with no success, except that setting it back usually produces the expected "Certificate not yet valid" error instead.

I also tried installing the same .sis on a 3rd Ed phone, which worked fine, and tried installing Y-Browser on the 5800, which also produced an "Expired certificate" error. At this point I'm pretty sure that the problem is the 5800 itself unless I've missed some extra step you have to go through to prepare an installer for 5th Edition devices.

After searching the forum I've seen a few other mentions of this problem but no actual solutions yet. Is this actually a problem with the phone software? Are there any workarounds?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia 5800 and "Expired certificate" error

the latest Y-Browser should be valid untill April 2009. anyway, I crashed ny hard disk and lost current touch version with the disk, thus you need to wait at least till christmas before there is real touch version out.

All and all, I have not experienced any problems on installing 3rd ed sis files into the 5800, thus maybe you should contact nokia care center or the place where you bought the device, and ask for an advice.

Thumbs down Re: Nokia 5800 and "Expired certificate" error

For future reference, the problem was simply that the 5800 didn't have a SIM card in it. Why that matters I have no idea, but it started working as soon as I installed one.

"Expired certificate" was a very misleading if not outright wrong error message.

It that a CE version of the phone & software or are you still having access to a proto. I have seen that behaviour long time ago but I assumed it to be fixed ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    It that a CE version of the phone & software or are you still having access to a proto. I have seen that behaviour long time ago but I assumed it to be fixed ...
    I'm not sure what version it is actually, but I can check tomorrow if you can tell me what to look for.

Well, is that a phone you have bought from a shop of have you received it from Nokia? What's the software version?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

We got it from Nokia, and the software version is 10.0.010, dated 04-11-2008.

Nokia Developer Champion

this is mostly a proto version and has these kinds of bugs... i too had faced them earlier
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by amitkankani View Post
    this is mostly a proto version and has these kinds of bugs... i too had faced them earlier
    OK, good to know. Anything other problems we're likely to run into?

Nokia Developer Champion

well in any case, after removing the sim card, if you again face the problem, just format your phone (note: you will loose all your contents).
    Go to dialer and type in *#7370# and pin shud be 12345.

after this format, i didn't get any certificate error eevn without sim card...
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Regular Contributor

Cool Re: Nokia 5800 and "Expired certificate" error

hi guys,
    I found a method to resolve the problem, input *#7370# to format the device then the cell will reboot automatically you should select the region "HongKong" the set the correct date and time. now you can install your software smoothly.
    enjoy it !

Nokia Developer Champion

well just for the information of all,

I have also seen some Bluetooth related problems, though not sure whether it is the problem with the device or code... but the code works on 3rd edition, so i suppose it shud be the device...

The problem is that when we try to record and play at the same time, with Bluetooth Headset connected, the phone reboots. The same functionality works with a wired headset...

hope this is fixed with newer and actual firmware versions of the device... as I have a proto device
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

I also have this nasty problem..Actually can't install ANYTHING on my 5800 XM...true, i have version 10.0010 but is still annoying that I can't even install the PC suite (7.1) support files into the phone...PC suite keeps telling me that phone has to have installed support files but...."certificate expired"..(!!!!) when sending them to the phone. Not to mention that there is no way to install any app..tried WorldMate and IM+ but same thing.."certificate expired"..Oh..YES, I tried the *#7370# option about 4 times and I tried installing app before any kind of setting...and YES I tried moving the date back to 2007 and 2008 and even 2006..and yes, i tried the suggested changing of location to Hong kong...but until now NOTHING works...I wonder, the new 11.00 firmware will address this issues?..is it a soft related problem...
    I really need help on this one...PLEASE e-mail me or IM me @ farandalone_r if you come up with a solution or even an answer to this problem...I'm really stuck

According to my info the bug is already fixed and will be deployed with the next firmware update. Until then the solution is to reset the phone (*#7370#) and make sure that you have a valid SIM card inside and network coverage at the time you type in the correct country and date/time information.
    -- Lucian

I'm seeing this problem on a production 5800XM with v11.0.008 firmware - is that the firmware that is supposed to fix this, or will there be another firmware soon to fix this issue?