Discussion Board

Question Problem with Nokia E51, asterisk and Wifi

Hi,

My company has a Nokia E51 (RM-244) with firmware 220.34.37 wich wants to use for VoIP. The company has an AsteriskNow installed and configured in their intranet and need the phones to register with it.

The configuration is (from factory defaults):

-> First go to "Settings/Connection/Access points" to remove all GPRS connections and create the Wireless LAN with the settings:
    • - WEP 128.
    • - Static IP and DNS

-> Second configure the SIP settings:
    • - Service profile: IETF
    • - Default Access point: The one created before
    • - Public user name: sip:100@ip_asterisk
    • - Compression: No
    • - Security: No
    • - Proxy server address: sip:ip_asterisk
    • - Realm: asterisk
    • - User name: 100
    • - Password: password
    • - Allow loose routing: Yes
    • - Transport type: UDP
    • - Port: 5060
    • - Registrar server address: sip:ip_asterisk
    • - Realm: asterisk
    • - User name: 100
    • - Password: password
    • - Transport type: UDP
    • - Port: 5060

-> Third, in "Settings/Connection/Internet tel." create a profile with ths sip profile created above.

-> Fourth, in "Settings/Phone/Call" change the Default call type to internet call.

My problem is that the Wireless connection stops working stable as soon as I configure the SIP settings. I also get a registry failed on the Sip settings.
    Test I've done:

• -> Try to use VoIP with a computer and wireless: worked fine.
    • -> Ping the telephone IP while it tries to register. It doesn't answer any of the pings (as if it never connects to the network while registering).
    • -> tcpdump on the asterisk server to see what it receives from the phone. I almost never get any packets from the E51. (even when the phone has registration failed).
    • -> Surf the internet and the asterisk web. I normaly get connection problems except when I just have the wireless lan configured (without the SIP settings). In this case it works fine.
    • -> Sometimes, when the connection works and I surf the web for a few minutes, the phone VoIp registers fine and I can talk and receive calls.
    • -> Install "Devicescape" to open the connection when it sees the wireless lan but that program tells me that "there has been a network problem, please try again".
    • -> Change the advance settings as it says in http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ssage.id=22365 but no difference.
    • -> Factory reset and reinstall firmware lots of times.

I called Nokia support and they told me to use another VoIp client as Fring or Gizmo, but they need the asterisk to be public on the internet so it doesn't work for me. I would need something like "x-lite for simbiam" so I can set the local IP of the asterisk but I haven't find anything like it.

¿Does anyone know about an App or setting that I could use to make it work?

Thank you
    Antonio

Thumbs up Re: Problem with Nokia E51, asterisk and Wifi

Dave showed me the solution to the problem. Setting DNS to automatic (0.0.0.0) was the trick to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by furrydave View Post
    I've found that it is possible to get the E51 to register with Asterisk on an Intranet, however I've also found that for this to happen you have to set the access point (phone's settings) to use 'automatic' DNS (i.e. don't set user-defined DNS addresses). In this case, you won't then be able to browse the Internet via your access point (although you will be able to browse on your Intranet).

Dave.

Re: Problem with Nokia E51, asterisk and Wifi

Ciao Antonio,

I had a similar issue with the E51 (same model as yours). I almost gave up when I saw on a forum that I should update to the latest available firmware, that is 300.xx.xx (use the Nokia Software Updater program). The issue was random disconnects and impossibility to reconnect once the phone was out of the wifi range and back in range afterwards. The new firmware added the possibility to define a Profile in Internet tel. for every access point available. I had it setup with multiple servers/AP profiles and on the previous firmware they were all on the same page. I don't really know for sure if that solved it or no but now it works and everyone is happy. The wireless experience alone it's worthwile the upgrade. Please let me know how is the upgrade working in your case (if you update, that is).

Peace and chicken grease.

Acid.

Hello Aciduzzu,

I'm sorry but I cannot test the new firmware because with the DNS set to auto it's working fine for the user. If i get another one I'll try it and write back.

Thank's for the reply
    Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by anorod View Post
    Hello Aciduzzu,

I'm sorry but I cannot test the new firmware because with the DNS set to auto it's working fine for the user. If i get another one I'll try it and write back.

Thank's for the reply
    Antonio
    Please tell me how to set in my E51 the dns setting to 0.0.0.0 ?

is there an hidden options menu for the tcp/ip wireless connection?

please help me...

Just write the DNS to "0.0.0.0". That will thell the E51 to get the DNS from DHCP