Discussion Board

Trouble after patching S60 FP2 SDK to support Windows Vista

After installing S60 FP2 SDK and following the steps detailed in the release notes to patch the sdk (copying the cl_bpabi.pm file to epoc32\tools) and adding the specified directories to the Path environment variable I still have errors when building.

The error I get is this:

fatal error: error writing to -: Invalid argument

The directoires I've added to the path are these:

C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\bin;C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\arm-none-symbianelf\bin;C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\libexec\gcc\arm-none-symbianelf\3.4.3;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\tools

I've also makde sure that CSL Arm Toolchain is installed in
    C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\ directory.

Same problem happens with FP1 after following the steps here:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Windows_Vista

I've read in some threads that this has to do with a long file path for de mmp file, but I'v tried it directly in C:\projectname.

Re: Trouble after patching S60 FP2 SDK to support Windows Vista

Additional data. This is what happens when I try to build the hello world example in FP1:

Code:
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld>abld build gcce urel
      make -r  -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S6
    0_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    0_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\GCCE.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl  -D \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLO
    WORLD GCCE
    0_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\GCCE.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s  -r -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S
    60_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\GCCE\HELLOWORLD.GCCE" LIBRARY
    0_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\GCCE.make" RESOURCE CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s
    make -s  -r -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S
    60_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\GCCE\HELLOWORLD.GCCE" RESOURCEU
    REL
    0_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s
    60_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\GCCE\HELLOWORLD.GCCE" UREL
    helloworld.cpp
    \epoc32\gcc\bin\as.exe was called but is not supported in this release.
    /Symbian/9.2/S60_3rd_FP1/Examples/Basics/HelloWorld/helloworld.cpp:12: fatal err
    or: error writing to -: Invalid argument compilation terminated.
    make[1]: *** [\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60
    _3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\GCCE\urel\HelloWorld.o] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGETHELLOWORLD] Error 2
    0_3rd_FP1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\GCCE.make" FINAL CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s
    Last edited by jmatthauser; 2008-12-16 at 19:58.

Solved: I had an error in my path so C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\tools was also at the beginning BUT I still get an error when building for fp1:

Error : Cannot find file : C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\GCCE\UREL\helloworld.exe
    file I/O fault

In fact the error that the console shows me is the following:

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\helloworld\group\ target gcce urel
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\helloworld\group\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s
    arm-none-symbianelf-ld: cannot find -lgcc
    make[1]: *** [\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\GCCE\UREL\helloworld.exe] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGEThelloworld] Error 2

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jmatthauser View Post
    arm-none-symbianelf-ld: cannot find -lgcc
    Check the highlighted red lines in the "Latest Updates" section under this link: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Windows_Vista

I hope that helps.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

I han a similar issue and the solution is to modify the SYMBIAN_UREL_LINK_FLAGS parameter (in C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\tools\compilation_config\gcce.mk) and to add the path where lgcc library is located. That is:

Original value:
    SYMBIAN_UREL_LINK_FLAGS=$(SYMBIAN_LD_MESSAGE_OPTION) $(BPABI_OPTION) $(RELOCATABLE_IMAGE_OPTION) $(TARGET_RELOCATION_OPTION) $(UNRESOLVED_SYMBOL_REF_OPTION) $(STDLIB_OPTION) $(EXTRA_LD_OPTION)

Modified value:
    SYMBIAN_UREL_LINK_FLAGS=$(SYMBIAN_LD_MESSAGE_OPTION) $(BPABI_OPTION) $(RELOCATABLE_IMAGE_OPTION) $(TARGET_RELOCATION_OPTION) $(UNRESOLVED_SYMBOL_REF_OPTION) $(STDLIB_OPTION) $(EXTRA_LD_OPTION) -L"C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\lib\gcc\arm-none-symbianelf\3.4.3"