Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi All,

We are opening this thread for you to provide your feedback on the Public Beta version of 'Nokia WRT Plug-in for Aptana Studio'. All you feedback will be considered carefully by our team, this this a good chance to tell us what you think about the tool and any wishlist you have...

There are issues we are aware of with the plug-in beta.

• Mac preview: If you are a Mac user and you install Eclipse + Aptana Studio plug-in + WRT plug-in (as opposed to Aptana Studio Standalone + WRT plug-in) you may have trouble with the S60 preview feature. We are investigating this issue. This does not seem to be an issue for Windows users.
      UPDATE: the problem seems to be with Eclipse >= ver 3.4; Eclipse 3.2.2 SDK+Aptana update+WRT v1.0.0.28 works fine.
    • Firewall/proxy: If your internet connection requires a proxy you must set it directly within Aptana Studio. If you do not, this could affect your ability to install plug-ins or preview widget content. There are two places to set proxies in Eclipse:
      1. Window -> Preferences -> Internet Proxy Settings
      2. Window -> Preferences -> Install/Update

be sure and set both appropriately for your proxy configurations. (see your system administrator or network guru if you don't know your proxy configurations)
    • Uninstall: If you have to manually uninstall the WRT plug-in do the following:
      1. Quit Aptana
      2. In the Aptana installation directory open the features directory. Delete all items beginning with com.nokia and org.eclipse.emf
      3. Do the same thing in the plugins directory
      4. On Mac OS delete the directory ~home/Library/Application Support/Aptana/
    • API Docs: The plug-in beta includes the current Web Developer's Library 1.3 which includes the 1.1 WRT APIs however, the beta only supports the 1.0 WRT APIs. Note this doesn't stop you from writing 1.1 compatible widgets for but features like code completion won't support the 1.1 APIs at this time.

Thank you all. We are looking forward to your reactions to a powerful new tool for developing for Web Runtime.

--
    Michael Bierman
    Nokia, Sr. Product Manager WRT Tools
    &
    Ung-Ping
    Web Technology Marketing Manager
    Forum Nokia
    Last edited by mbierman; 2009-01-09 at 23:08.

Smile Re: Public Beta: Nokia WRT Plug-in for Aptana Studio

Instalado sin problemas en un acer travelmate 290 con Windows XP service pack 2 y 512 Mb RAM , hecho de menos poder configurar el programa es español,Me pongo a trabajar con el y sigo informando.

Un Saludo desde Mallorca

Installed without problems in a acer Travelmate 290 with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 512 Mb RAM, fact less able to configure the program is Spanish, I begin to work with and I continue to report.

A Greeting from Mallorca

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Public Beta: Nokia WRT Plug-in for Aptana Studio

Quote Originally Posted by aiglesias@aiglesias.com View Post
    Instalado sin problemas en un acer travelmate 290 con Windows XP service pack 2 y 512 Mb RAM , hecho de menos poder configurar el programa es español,Me pongo a trabajar con el y sigo informando.

Un Saludo desde Mallorca

Installed without problems in a acer Travelmate 290 with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 512 Mb RAM, fact less able to configure the program is Spanish, I begin to work with and I continue to report.

A Greeting from Mallorca
    Forgive me--My spanish is terrible...I understand you were able to install but you are you having trouble configuring the Plug-in? Can you be more specific?

--
    Michael Bierman,
    Nokia Product Manager WRT Tools

Cool Re: Public Beta: Nokia WRT Plug-in for Aptana Studio

First problems I found:

- The CSS editor still shows a black rectangle for me before I click the Firefox Preview tab (Aptana bug?)
    - The WRT Widget (S60) view loses the soft key buttons if I change the display from portrait to landscape

Also it wasn't nice that I had to completely uninstall and reinstall Aptana to get the new WRT version to install. And it isn't nice that soon there might be several Eclipse installations on my HD just because Carbide.c++ requires one, WRT requires one etc :P
    Your friendly neighborhood Symbiatch

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by feenix View Post
    - The CSS editor still shows a black rectangle for me before I click the Firefox Preview tab (Aptana bug?)
    Can you clarify this? perhaps provide a screenshot? The WRT preview function labled, "WRT Widget (S60)" only works on the HTML files. You can't preview within CSS.

- The WRT Widget (S60) view loses the soft key buttons if I change the display from portrait to landscape
    Good feedback. Thanks.

Also it wasn't nice that I had to completely uninstall and reinstall Aptana to get the new WRT version to install. And it isn't nice that soon there might be several Eclipse installations on my HD just because Carbide.c++ requires one, WRT requires one etc :P
    It is possible to download Aptana as an Eclipse plug-in and then you can install the WRT plug-in for Atana. See the Aptana download page.

--
    Michael Bierman
    Last edited by mbierman; 2008-12-19 at 07:58.

Nokia Developer Champion

I don't quite remember now, but I think earlier the widget would pop a dialog to connect to an access point (Winsock) when it needed to access external data. This release doesn't seem to have it. I think it is great to have a real life emulation while accessing data.

I'm testing on real life projects and will keep writing regular feedback, but just wanted to say....this plugin is awesome in every way....it has made development and testing of widgets so much easier.

Cheers,
    Mariam
    Mariam Dholkawala
    http://www.igamestudio.com

Blog - http://www.mariamdholkawala.com/mobile
    MaD UG - http://www.indimadgroup.com

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mariamDh View Post
    I don't quite remember now, but I think earlier the widget would pop a dialog to connect to an access point (Winsock) when it needed to access external data. This release doesn't seem to have it. I think it is great to have a real life emulation while accessing data.
    I don't recall the plug-in doing that itself. Perhaps you were deploying the widget to an Emulator? One of the areas we are looking at is augmenting simulation in many ways including support for 1.1 widget APIs. I can't provide any dates at this time, but it definitely on the todo list. If you have specific things you'd like to see in terms of simulation for development, feel free to post a wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by mariamDh View Post
    I'm testing on real life projects and will keep writing regular feedback, but just wanted to say....this plugin is awesome in every way....it has made development and testing of widgets so much easier.
    Music to our ears, Miriam! Please tell your friends and colleagues to try it out too! (Nice blog, by the way!)

Cheers!

--
    Michael Bierman

Nokia Developer Expert

Video on Aptana Studio

Hello,

I wanted to let widget developers know that the kind people over at Aptana have posted a great video overview of the Nokia WRT plug-in for Aptana Studio. You will also find a link to it from their blog.

Keep the feedkback coming our way!

--
    Michael Bierman

First off, great plug-in to Aptana!

I am running into one small issue in regards to the preview for the 5800 MusicXpress.
    The preview is too long to fit into my window even when maximized (my screen just isn't that high -- it's a recent Sony laptop). Any chance the preview could be made to scroll, or perhaps not begin as far down the page?

Nokia Developer Expert

Thanks, bryanrieger!

We're looking at several improvements to preview and this is among them. Keep the suggestions coming and thanks for your interest!

--
    Michael Bierman

Quote Originally Posted by bryanrieger View Post
    First off, great plug-in to Aptana!

I am running into one small issue in regards to the preview for the 5800 MusicXpress.
    The preview is too long to fit into my window even when maximized (my screen just isn't that high -- it's a recent Sony laptop). Any chance the preview could be made to scroll, or perhaps not begin as far down the page?

Nokia Developer Champion

Michael,

Welcome to Nokia...

Wrote up about Aptana on my blog, may do a a few how-to's going forward. Check it out here:

http://www.robtoole.com/blog/?p=267

So far so good on Aptana, big step in the right direction.

thanks
    Rob Toole

Nokia Developer Expert

Smile Re: Public Beta: Nokia WRT Plug-in for Aptana Studio

Thanks very much, Rob. I enjoyed reading your blog. Just wondering--did you mean you were able to install the WRT plug-in right into Eclipse without installing the Aptana Plug-in at all? We weren't aware that would work.

I tried posting to your blog, but perhaps the spam filter ate my post?

--
    Michael Bierman

Quote Originally Posted by robtoole View Post
    Michael,

Welcome to Nokia...

Wrote up about Aptana on my blog, may do a a few how-to's going forward. Check it out here:

http://www.robtoole.com/blog/?p=267

So far so good on Aptana, big step in the right direction.

thanks
    Rob Toole

(Sorry for my english)

Anybody know why cant I download this plug-in?

Today i have downloaded aptana studio and when I go to myAptana -> plugins. I only can see these plugins: aptana php, aptana radrails, aptana adobe air and aptana apple iphone. But I dont know why I cant see Nokia WRT plugin for aptana studio.

Cheers

Carlos

(Sorry for my English )
    Hi mbierman ,
    I am facing problems while installing the WRT plugin for aptana Studio.

I have tried the steps you have mentioned.
    but it is showing some error message !

and i plz give me the URL of the site which we need to give for the software updates .
    It is asking me for both Name and the URL

Name i have mentioned : Nokia WRT
    and the url i have tried many
    But no use..
    It is showing the message , "that is not a site "

i have tried with
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/Resources...Aptana_Plugin/

and

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Resources...s/Web_Runtime/

and

http://www.aptana.com/nokia

3 were not working..
    plz send me the URL ( naresh84_ss@yahoo.com )

Thanks & Regards,
    Naresh
    Last edited by nareshss; 2009-02-12 at 07:29.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi All, thanks for all your feedback during the public beta. We release the commercial version of the plug-in today, Feb 16, so refresh your Aptana studio to download the latest v1 release of the plug-in.

cheers!
    Ung-Ping