Discussion Board

create and delete widget shortcut icon

Hi all,

I am learning widget and have created One widget. When I am installing it on emulator, its installing the widget and the icon corrosponding to that widget is created in Application folder.
    I want to show my widget icon on home screen instead of application folder. And also want to delete that icon while closing the widget.
    It is possible to show the icon through settings["Settings", go to "Personalisation", then "Standby mode", and "Active standby apps"]. But i want to do it programmatically.
    In http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=476509 , it is mentioned that showing something on idle screen is possible but by using the Active Idle plug-in API which can be obtained through Nokia API Partnering program at a cost.
    But I am not sure that whether it is same for shortcut icons...
    Please tell me if there is some way to do that.

Regards,
    Priti

Re: create and delete widget shortcut icon

Hi All,

Instead of posting new thread, I thought of continuing in Previous thread because my doubts are related with that. I was working on WRT 1.0 on S60 3rd Edition because on 5th edition widget was not seems to be supported. But there widgets on Home Screen was not supported. Now, I have seen that WRT 1.1 is providing Support for home screen widgets on compatible S60 5th edition devices.

But still I have some doubts :

1) Will widget created with WRT 1.1 be run on 3rd edition also?
    2) Where I can get this WRTkit 1.1 ?
    3) Since Home Screen widget support is only for some compatible S60 5th edition devices, Do normal 5th edition SDKs Emulator is fine to test the Home Screen widget?
    Is there any patch to download for Home Screen widget support on 5th edition?

Please help me in this. I dnt get much on web about this.

Thanks in advance.....
    Regards,
    Priti

Nokia Developer Moderator

1) yes if it is not using any functionality that is not provided by the platform it is run in.

2) no need to get any WRTkit 1.1, basically only officual IDE we have is Aptana and it also has plug-in for WRT Widgets to ease the development a bit more

3. I would doubt that current 5th edition SDK would support it, but as it is still marked as 0.9, it is potentially possible that in future it could be indeed that the 5th ED SDK might have a support for this.

Hi Symbianyucca,

Thanks for your quick reply. Can you tell me that then how I can create & Test Home Screen Widget? Is it something like I should have Aptana Studio for Developing on screen widgets which are supported with WRT 1.1 ?

If yes, then do we have Aptana free editions for learners.As One month back,I have downloaded trial version for aptana studio and now its not allowing me to update the software

Please help me to proceed. I was trying for this from 2 months back and now ,as WRT is supporting that but, I am not getting some pointer for the environment(Set Up) which I needs for creation & Tesing of home screen widgets.

Thanks....
    Regards,
    Priti

Could you point me out where the documentation is for the "Home Screen Widget", I gotta say that I have been extreamly busy with other issues, so have not checked what they have updated there latest. Basically the documentation should have all necessary infromation, and if it does not, then it should propably be updated, though I have not seen any devices on the market that would say that it is supporting "Home Screen Widget".

Its in Web-developer's library 1.4. I have read it in online version at :
    http://library.forum.nokia.com/index...6BF_cover.html

ok, it actually says it all "Support for home screen widgets on compatible S60 5th edition devices, such as the Nokia N97.", thus I would suppose 0.9 SDK is not supporting the feature yet, since it was made well before N97 was introduced, and also there is no device supporting it yet on the market, though I have no official information on this, so I could as well be wrong, and I'm just making aducated assumptions in here..

Hi Symbianyucca,

Thanks for the quick reply.
    It seems I still have to wait to Create & Run Home Screen Widget.

Regards,
    Priti

Hi Symbianyucca,

I am also looking for the "Home Screen Widget" related information.

It would be great if I can find answers to the following queries.

1) Does S60 5th edition V0.9 public SDK include WRT 1.1 support?
    2) Where in the public SDK I can find the WRT 1.0/1.1 and the corresponding Web
    developer Libraries?
    3) Where do I get the information about the versions of WRT and Web Developer
    Library in an emulator setup installed using public SDK?
    4) As per the S60 documentation "Home Screen Widget" implementation is supported
    using Web Developer's library 1.4 which is compatible with WRT 1.1. Is it
    possible to get patches for these and use them along with the currently
    available SDK?
    5) Above all, is it possible to run a widget on a S60 5th edition emulator by
    providing the proxy settings? We seem to be able to run using S60 3rd edition
    but the widget is throwing an error when launched after installation on S60
    5th edition.

Regards
    lathas
    Last edited by lathas; 2009-02-17 at 10:27.

Hello priti2208,

I don't know if it'll help or answer your question but as I'm trying to create my own widgets, It seems that folowing line inside info.plist is activating the possibility to select installed widget from homescreen customization menu before </div> flag:
    <true/>
    <key>MiniViewEnabled</key>
    <true/>

I would be interested in knowing if it helped you.
    Cheers,
    Michael