Discussion Board

Adding streaming WMA support to S60 Internet Radio application

Hi,

I've been looking for an open source Symbian application that streams internet radio to a mobile. S60 Internet Radio seems a good candidate but unfortunately supports only Shoutcast's MPEG and no WMA streaming. Reading through the wiki pages of the project I found out that there is support in SymbianOS 9.1 for WMA decoding and the application could be changed to play that.

Could someone please point me to a direction as to how this could be done? I don't know how or where to start from. I've managed to download the source, compile it and reproduce the installation .sis file for S60 3rd. Please assume that I have good C++ programming skills.

Thanks
    Last edited by unpaiktable; 2008-12-17 at 15:30. Reason: Spelling mistake

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Adding streaming WMA support to S60 Internet Radio application

According to http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Codecs there is no support for streaming wma, which might be a problem in case of Internet Radio. But you can check the application provided at the end of the page, and based on the row "CMMFCodec (99) (decoder)" it might be still possible to decode the data manually in a streaming way.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    According to http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Codecs there is no support for streaming wma, which might be a problem in case of Internet Radio. But you can check the application provided at the end of the page, and based on the row "CMMFCodec (99) (decoder)" it might be still possible to decode the data manually in a streaming way.
    Here's what I found over at the Internet Radio wiki page:

Q: What about Windows Media (WMA) streaming?

A: Internet radio stations that stream Windows Media Audio (WMA) use a different protocol in addtion to a different audio format. The Internet Radio for S60 client only supports the Shoutcast protocol in MP3 and AAC+, and there are no current plans to add additional protocols to the client. S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 supports the WMA codec in the platform, so an energetic developer may be able to create a WMA streaming client using the Internet Radio source code.

Does this mean that the application can be extended without any additional codecs, so that it can be used on S60 3rd FP1 phones?

Oh, and the link to the codecs installer you pointed me to doesn't work

Assuming the table in the codecs wiki page is correct (it usually is) then you might be able to use CMMFCodec to decode the WMA files to PCM and then play them with CMdaAudioInputStream. There's a thread about using CMMFCodec to play MP3, the principles are the same but you may need some codec configuration data that isn't publicly available (for no specific reason). Also, note that there are some issues with getting access to CMMFCodec, since the API is only available in an old (deprecated) plug-in for S60 3rd MR (there are posts about that too if you search).

Sorcery

Quote Originally Posted by unpaiktable View Post
    . I've managed to download the source, compile it and reproduce the installation .sis file for S60 3rd. Please assume that I have good C++ programming skills.
    Please: My C++ skills are still rather academic, but I am trying to work on the same code. How did You compile the code? Which IDE did you use? I tried to import the project folder into carbide but currently I cannot configure or build anything.