Discussion Board

[moved] Questions about the Positioning settings in Nokia phone

hi

In Nokia phone's General Settings->Positioning->Positioning Server->Positioning Server Usage, we could see four options: Always automatic / Automatic in home network / Ask Always / Off

Here i have two questions:
    1. "in home network": does this "network" concern with PLMN or SUPL network? So the contrast "roaming" has the same question?
    2. "Off": if select this, can the mobile phone still receive Network-Initiated Location Request?

Thanks for your help in advance

Super Contributor

Re: Questions about the Positioning settings in Nokia phone

Home network would mean in the network matching the MNC (Mobile Network Code) of the SIM card, I suppose. In other word, the operator's network whose SIM card you have.

Re: Questions about the Positioning settings in Nokia phone

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Home network would mean in the network matching the MNC (Mobile Network Code) of the SIM card, I suppose. In other word, the operator's network whose SIM card you have.
    hi, thanks for your reply and remide me about the duplicate question. I have changed the other posts to link to this post as i cannot delete my those posts.

Here i have further questions.
    1. In SUPL protocol, there exsist HSLP and RSLP and the latter is used in roaming case. And in Nokia Settings the positioning server is HSLP. From OMA spec, SUPL roaming occurs when a SET leaves the service area of its H-SLP, and this is not necessarily associated with the service area of the underlying wireless network. Then here "in home network" means in the scope of H-SLP or not?

2. I know that the SUPL connection dialog is different when roaming compared to when the user is in the home network for Nokia phone, such as N96. In SUPL home network the text in the SUPL connection dialog may be like “Connection to network positioning server is requested. This may cost depending on the mobile subscription. Proceed?”. In SUPL roaming case, the SUPL connection dialog may be like “Connection to network positioning server is requested. You are outside home network. This may cost depending on mobile subscription. Proceed?”
    Then because in PLMN data connection is not charged based on the distance/time but on amount of data transferred, if "roaming" concerns PLMN, why Nokia phone distinguish such roaming and non-roaming cases? Because for PLMN roaming, data transferring charge have no difference.