Discussion Board

Question how can I control visibility of a edwin control in Symbian C++?

Hello,

Is it possible to make an edwin control (instatiation of CEikEdwin) visible / invisible programatically?
    If so, how?

I tried applying MakeVisible(TBool) function defined for CCoeControl followed by DrawNow(), but does not work.

thx,
    Juan

Thumbs down Re: how can I control visibility of a edwin control in Symbian C++?

Just in case someone hits on this problem again. Here is what I found out:

a. MakeVisible() method does not work (at least not on S60 3rd edition) for any type of editor (CEikEdwin or any of its derivatives) when the Edwin is inside a dialog / form.

b. Some methods defined for CEikDialog, such as MakeWholeLineVisible(), do not work on classes that inherit CEikDialog, such as CAknDialog, CAknForm, etc. I have not checked whether these functions work on CEikDialog itself. I have my doubts.

The only way that I have found that works if you need to implement a dialog in which lines appear and disappear dynamically based on the value of other controls in the dialog, is to insert and delete the lines dynamically with methods such as InsertLineL() and DeleteLine(). If that's not good enough for you, then you're probably out of luck.

There have been a few threads in Forum Nokia regarding the facts that MakeVisible() does not really work for editors inside a dialog and MakeWholeLineVisible() does not work for most dialog clases. But, unfortunately, none of them contains any answer. I hope that this reply helps people finding this problem save quite a few hours trying different methods to get dialogs have some dynamic behaviour.

BR/ Juan