Discussion Board

Super Contributor

View switching on DLL callback

Hi ppl...

I have developed a DLL which performs some updations on a CFbsBitmap object like Transformation, rotation etc..
    My DLL takes this Bitmap as Input from the Application...

Whenever any transformation/updation of image occurs i need to refresh the Application screen ( I juz bitblt the image given to the DLL)..
    And also i need to change Views on certain updations in the Application side..

The DLL wud be giving a callback whenever there is updation/error/results to the AppUI( The AppUI inherits the DLL Observer)...

Now my problem is whenever there is a callback from the DLL, i get the respective function called in AppUI...
    Consider i need to switch a view on certain callbacks..How can i do this...If i implement the view switching in the callback function it is the DLL thread...Am i right and i dont need the view switching to be done in the DLL thread since it may affect the DLL callback mechanism..

I need ur suggestions on how to achieve this functionality...
    Hope you Understand..

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: View switching on DLL callback

Hi,

normally the DLL code is running in the same thread as the main application - if you do not implement on your own DLL function execution in the separate thread. So switching the view in the observer callback methods is O.K.

BR
    STeN

Super Contributor

Thanx stenlik for your reply..

But the thing is from the application i request some functions to the DLL, comeback and do my job.The DLL maintains a queue for proceesing commands received...So the App just pushes into the command queue and comes out..

When the command is processed completely..the DLL will create a thread and make a callback to the Appln..
    Each call back is fom a separate thread created by the DLL..

So in my callback function even if i use CEikonEnv::Static() i always get the value as ox0000 since it is a DLL thread...
    What to do in these cases...

Currently in my callback function i wouldd set a variable which would be analysed periodically by the CPeriodicTimer of the AppUI and do the switching..

But i don't think this is efficient...

Super Contributor

I hve detailed how to use the cross thread processing in this thread
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=153679
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Super Contributor

Thanx Paul that was an eye-opener for me..
    I think i need to change my DLL structure to suit that TRequestStatus approach...

Super Contributor

Now i have made my DLL as an Async Service provider and support Active objects usage in the Appln side..
    I have a few questions regarding Appln UI - Active object usage..

1. I create an active object in the UI class encapsulating that Async service provider..
    In view 1, i make a request to the Async service provider thro the UI's active object.
    The RunL() will be invoked when the request completes.. Now based on that i need to switch views( view 2)..
    I remember that the RunL() implementation shudn't take too long to complete..
    What to do now??

2. If i start a thread inside the RunL() there is another thing like the GUI shud always be in a single thread..
    Am i right???

3. Any example of UI implementation which relies on Active object's usage cud be useful and also suggestions supporting Async service provider - UI usage..