Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Getting started guide?

I've completed the various SDK/Carbide/Qt installations and run the examples (and done lots of Qt desktop development in the past).

Now I'm wondering how to get started with writing my own Qt applications for S60.

What's the best place to find information for beginners? I'm not clear how to build projects for S60, how builds are structured, how to work with the emulator, how to move applications to devices, and so on.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Sam Dutton

Re: Getting started guide?

1. What's the best place to find information for beginners?
    In my opinion the best way to get started is to take some examples,
    view and understand the source code. maybe write sth familiar.

2. how to build projects for S60
    you can easily build projects in Carbide
    http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...E2E66F7A8.html

3. how builds are structured
    Carbide uses SDK to build project
    after buildin it places all needed files to Epoc32
    and when you run emulator you can find your (new) proect at Installed folder

4. how to work with the emulator
    You can run or debug applications using emulator
    Roughly speaking, see the result of your work
    http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic...4D77C7048.html

5. how to move applications to devices
    By default, when you build projects in Carbide, they are placed
    to the right place. And you can find your application in Installed folder(in Emulator)

Carbide puts files somewhere here (i guess)
    <SymbianRoot>\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\
    I don't know yet, how to do it by hand.

I hope i've written everything right. Sorry if sth wrong. I'm also new to Symbian.

Helo everyone,
    I'm new to Qt. I wanted to know the learning-curve of Qt ,compared to that of PyS60 or S60 ?
    Thanks in advance.

David.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi David,

Qt is very easy to get started with compared to Symbian C++ - the learning curve is reduced dramatically. You will likely be very productive in couple of days and you will enjoy writing native C++ code for S60 with Qt . Best place to get started with Qt is http://trolltech.com/developer.

- Eero

Thanks.
    So between Symbian C++,PyS60, J2ME,&Qt for S60, which do you feel is better to start with first ?
    Does Qt S60 require prior knowledge of C++ ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlade View Post
    Thanks.
    So between Symbian C++,PyS60, J2ME,&Qt for S60, which do you feel is better to start with first ?
    Does Qt S60 require prior knowledge of C++ ?
    hello SoulBlade
    Indeed Qt for S60 requires a prior knowledge of C++. But developing in Qt id very easy as compared to symbian C++.

if you are a newbie in mobile platforms and if you want to develop rapid mobile applications then according to me you should have your way towards PyS60.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Thanks Gaba88.

By the way, is there any part of Qt s60 that deals with A.I ?

Nokia Developer Champion

hi,
    What do you mean by A.I. ?
    If you mean Artificial Inteligence than i think there is nothing. I am not sure but 99%....
    Jajal Mehul

A.I= Artificial Intelligence , yes. But there should be in Symbian C++ at least.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlade View Post
    A.I= Artificial Intelligence , yes. But there should be in Symbian C++ at least.
    hello SoulBlade

ya indeed there must be something in symbian C++ that will reflect AI. But according to me it depends on the way you utilise the device in developing applications that can be said as intelligent.

Hope you got me.
    Best Regards
    Gaba88

There aren't really any standard A.I. APIs anywhere on any platform that I'm aware of. What would they do?

There are some things in Symbian that are often classed as A.I. topics like voice recognition and there's a Nokia Computer Vision library available for free use too.

Qt doesn't have anything specifically for A.I. although of course you can implement any A.I. algorithms you like using it. You'll have to be a bit more specific about what you want to do if you need some help or pointers though.

Mark

I'll post the concept of what i want to do if the people who've contributed to the thread promise not to take the idea(since its not patented) , and promise to suggest possible improvements or problem issues with the idea. Because even if i post it,it'll just be 1/6th of the idea anyways.

SoulBlade.

I've no intention of stealing your idea but if you post it on this thread it will be in the public domain and anyone can use it!

You'll have to decide whether it's worth the risk. Alternatively you could pay someone for private consultation under a non-disclosure agreement.

Mark

I believe your right Mark.

Anyway, the 'summary' of the app. is this:

The reason its A.I is because it wants to learn to be, become you, &be able to help you in the world. Not just you, but anybody who uses it; by bridging geographical&socialogical boundaries.

I want to implement it in my University. If it all works;then other Nigerian-Universities; then Nigeria; then Africa.

I call the application ' MiDE ' (from the Nigerian name ' Olamide ' ,
    - Its the name of a girl i had a crush on in primary school - i still secretly have a crush on her though.).

Anyways,

Mide, in nigeria means an 'arrival' of something. - in this case, think abit sci-fi; the arrival of a peaceful alien from outer space; coming to learn about you and earth - and residing in your mobile device.

MiDE makes use of every physical&digital component of the common S60-phone, to serve as a real-time 'sense' organ.

MiDE can ask questions about problems it might have in learning to adapt to your personality.

These questions& the MiDE's response can be in form of animative writing or spoken words to you. (you can talk to MiDE and MiDE intelligently talks back)

From another project, i'm working on; it seeks to fuse physical&digital worlds together.

Another project, seeks to make a PC-user side of the concepts.

Now putting the first two concepts together (MiDE + phys-digital )

- Means i can pull out this A.I app. from technicall 'anywhere' in my immediate environment.

I've thought of several places my app. can be used. A few i shall list.

- Anticipating and tracking disease outbreaks (imagine health experts with MiDE ;remember MiDE wants to learn about Earth too )

- Monitor the health of aging, disabled and remote individuals and communities ( imagine old people with MiDE)

- Share real-time data about weather and environmental hazards ( imagine people on the field with MiDE),

- Plan roads, transit services, utilities and urban systems (imagine workers, students, commuters with MiDE),

- Protect endangered species and natural resources ( imagine a nature-loving person or environmentalist who has MiDE).
    -

'-MiDE as a digital classroom teacher to students.

- Two different people from different cultures,with different languages;can't understand each other - but what if they had . . MiDE. i.e. MiDE not only interpretes/translates languages ,but helps bridging cultural gaps.

For example:
    - I'm Nigerian. I drop from the sky into a Tokyo subway (i've always wanted to go there !! ), and all i have is MiDE on my phone. MiDE not only 'percieves' the environment, but if this Tokyo subway is pre-fused with a digi-world, i can easily find my way around; via digital maps, points-of-interest, and easily relate with people via MiDE.
    Even though i have NO knowledge of China or their language !!

- Or just using MiDE by yourself.

- And hundreds more !

Since MiDE is adapting, it has the ability to evolve; via program updates and other means. Meaning MiDE can be used in other places besides the aforementioned.

Now, Imagine if a storyline ,or a nanotech or genetics concept was included !

But this is all 1/6th of the idea.
    I guess the whole idea will kill people if it was entered for the Mobile Rules 09 contest. ( though, i dont know when that is.)

-The judges would roll around in laughter if i added a storyline to it or nanotech, or genetics concept.

David.
    Last edited by SoulBlade; 2009-01-10 at 07:55. Reason: Typo

Hi,

It's great to think big and dream of the possible, but if you want to succeed in a university project in a reasonable timeframe then I suggest you select a small portion of MiDE and implement that first.

General A.I. like you describe has been dreamt of for decades but no-one has made much progress towards creating it. That doesn't mean it's impossible, just very hard.

I would strongly suggest you pick the simplest part of your project and come back with specific questions about how to implement that.

Mark

P.S. Tokyo in in Japan, not China. GPS can already help you get around in a foreign country or unknown city. Some of the other things you suggest (like the phone talking to you and asking intelligent questions, are much, much harder).