Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nokia 5800/VoIP

Nokia 5800/VoIP

Hello! I have configured the built-in SIP client and the phone is right now connected to my SIP provider. If I would like to make a call, there is no possibility to select "Internet call" instead of a regular call as I could select on my N85. Has anyone an idea how to fix the problem? Thanks and best regards, Markus

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia 5800/VoIP

As far as I know there is no built-in VoIP client in Nokia 5800. So you need to install 3rd party client.

There is no default VOIP client on 5800 from Nokia. Have a look at device specification http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/5800_XpressMusic.

Install 3rd party VOIP clients..

the only 3rd part client actually working on nokia 5800 is talkonaut beta. But it has not the fashion and quality of native voip nokia client.

We really hope nokia will release very soon at least SIP VOIP SETTING for Nokia 5800 or a new firmware release, where Internet Call is enabled.

try using fring it may work rather than to wait for nokia at its whims and fancy

to be able to make voip/sipp calls you cand use:
    fring,
    talkonaut,
    nimbuzz,
    vippie free client

5800 XM hasn't VOIP client and SIP built-in just used in Video Sharing. another third-party such as fring,Nimbuzz,... can be used as voip client but all of your traffics route from their servers.

Thumbs down Re: Nokia 5800/VoIP

What a shame we still don't have internet call on the 5800!!!!

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by lucaspozzi View Post
    What a shame we still don't have internet call on the 5800!!!!

Just to clarify it is possible it just is the SIP is not built in. Google search provides other ways to do VoIP.

Ron

Super Contributor

hello,

in-build VoIP Client will only be available on Nokia-Eseries, for Nseries the Skype is used, instead of SIP.

regards,

Pai
    Symbian && Android && iPhoneOS

Regular Contributor

I had an earlier problem when I was trying to implement a VoIP client on N96. I i remember correctly there was no SIP stack (or maybe no native SIP client ,I can't recall). What is the difference between N96 and 5800 in this regard? What about N97 as well
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by markzh View Post
    Hello! I have configured the built-in SIP client and the phone is right now connected to my SIP provider. If I would like to make a call, there is no possibility to select "Internet call" instead of a regular call as I could select on my N85. Thanks! Voip Hosted Wholsealse Voip Fax
    You may need to either use a proxy or have your router forward the UDP ports used for RTP to the IP address of your phone.

Or, There is also Gizmo5 which will install a SIP based application that will add a TAB in the contacts section that requires you to activate SIP for Internet based calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Just to clarify it is possible it just is the SIP is not built in. Google search provides other ways to do VoIP.

Ron

Dear Ron,

Nokia is all about user experience. Don't you think that not having VoIP built in and forcing the user to give up the native address book and turn to fring is a step back?

Nokia might as well just purchase fring then.

And how come if the 5800 gets a T-Mobile SIM, it has the option for internet call?? This puzzles me so much.

Thank you.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Nokia builds dozens of models of devices based on research as to what features the user wants, what features the operator wants and other items. If VoIP is critical to you, then you should choose a device that has that enabled for your locality if possible. You should not blame Nokia if AT&T (with millions of wired customers) does not want VoIP enabled devices.

Ron

Angry Re: Nokia 5800/VoIP

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    You should not blame Nokia if AT&T (with millions of wired customers) does not want VoIP enabled devices.

Ron
    WHAT?!?!?!???? I HATE THIS KIND OF ANSWERS!!!!!

You, and Nokia, must remember that WE, the customer, is the FINAL user. WE paid for the phone, not AT&T, or another company. The phone is NOT USED by AT&T. It's OURS. Probably you will tell me "the mobile companies subsidizes the phone, so they can choose what kind of software of feature can or cannot be enabled". I could buy your idea. But, if you pay for a unlocked Nokia 5800 XM phone, that cost two or three times the price sold by AT&T, the phone doesn't have the VoIP client. That's because Nokia intentionally pruned it, because it's not explainable why an E71 or E72 can have the SIP client, but 5800 doesn't. It's a shame for Nokia. And, please, don't tell me "it's multimedia oriented, the E series doesn't have TV-Out option, so the 5800 XM doesn't have SIP support". We're not stupid, the SIP client is a 100% pure software solution, the TV-Out requires a TV-encoder chip.

AT&T hates VoIP? Obviously! They, internally, uses VoIP for international calls. They don't want the casual user could discover that a third party can place a public VoIP PBX, and reroutes calls using the AT&T wireless data networks. Did you think it's a scam? No! It's the evolution!

I hate the cellphone world. If the computer world was like the mobile world, Microsoft could force the computer makers to forbid install another OS like Linux, for example. In the computer world, that IS a shame.