Discussion Board

Orientation on nokia N95

Hi guys,

Quick question is location based Orientation supported on the N95??, i have taken a look at some of the old threads but nothing too specific. i want to utilize the javax.microedition.location.Orientation; package but after testing i dont think it is supported i might have to use the tilt sensor on the N95 do you know which api uses it? if anyone can shed any light on this issue i will be grateful

Re: Orientation on nokia N95

Note: Can someone explain how the compass function works on the N95 it must be using some sort of sensor or complex math to get the direction of the device

Nokia Developer Moderator

Sensors with N95 have nothing really to do with location based services. The Compass on ti works with GPS. For articles & examples, check our Wiki..

Having two known consecutive positions you can use the APIs (look for Bearing in the SDK help) or your own math to calculate the direction of the movement.
    A Google search for the same would return you entries such as http://gpsinformation.net/main/gpsbearing.htm
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for the quick replies guys, the lack of orientation implementation on the n95 is frustrating to say the least. I am going to look into some bearing calculations o and the lack of trigg functions such as asin acos and atan is no help either!

Thanks again

There's something missing from every phone and for N95 the compass sensor might be indeed suh a missing feature, although it doesn't seem to be missed by many developers/users.

As for trigonometry functions look for the Math class in e32math.h
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite