Discussion Board

A Symbian S60 3rd ed. appliction request: for those of you who have the time

Hi there..

My mobile phone is Nokia e51, hacked firmware.
    A few months ago I bought the apple wireless keyboard for my Vista pc. It works flawlessly and I love it.

I realized since it's bluetooth it should work with my phone as well. So I went over to the official nokia webpage and grabbed the wireless keyboard driver. I paired the keyboard with my e51, seems to be working great, except for one, big issue:

The output language is always English, regardless what the phone's layout is. It could be Russian, Italian, Swedish, but when I type from the keyboad it's just always English.

I'm seeking high and low for a solution for this problem, so I can type in Hebrew when I'm on the go. This will allow me to do so many things that I just can't do right now.

I guess what we're talking about here is a compatibility issue, probably because the wireless keyboard driver is meant to work with the Nokia keyboard, not the apple ones. Also, when I try to access 'Settings' through the driver, the app closes instantly and the keyboard is disconnected. No damage, of course.

The way I see it there are 2 possible solutions:

A modified keyboard driver that will fix this problem.

The more complex, though promising one:

An app that can be installed and executed on the phone itself which will convert the letters from English to Hebrew, accordingly. Basically like a Keymapper app. I tried MagicKey, but I cant choose letters there, just some functions.

If you have an adequate knowledge in Symbian programming and might be able to somehow find a fix for this problem, I'd be really gratful for your help, some sort of a reward is promised

A second option would be to give me some guidance on how to develop such app for a symbian s60 3rd ed. based phone. I have a significant Java experience/knowledge so maybe I can create the app. Though I have only written scripts in the past - not GUI apps nor apps for Symbian/j2me.

For those of you who want to cut to the chase:
    I need a small, simple app, that I'll be able to run on my Nokia E51 in the background. What it needs to do is map the keys I type with my Apple Wireless Keyboard (they turn out English no matter what, and I need Hebrew). What I need is an app that will run in the background and convert every key I press, when it's running. It doesn't even need a menu: when It's active, it'll convert the keys, when it's not... well... it'll simply not do anything

I've added an Excel file (.xls) with the original/maps to chart.

Link: http://www.filefactory.com/file/a006fa6/n/keymap_xls
    To download the file, scroll down and click "» Download with FileFactory Basic", it'll be simple from there.

There are 2 missing fields in the file:

Line 3:
    'w' maps to '''
    (From the letter w to ')

Line 36:
    '/' maps to '.'
    (From a slash to a dot)
    Excel, for some reaon did not accept these punctuation marks.

I hope this is not too hard to create.
    As mentioned above, my phone is hacked, so no need in certificate. Just make it S60 V3 compaitable.

I also found some kind of video that proved me this is possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNYDdrmj7kI
    Too bad this Japanese dude doesn't responed to either my e-mails or my PM's. Maybe he doesn't know English, or maybe he's just ignoring me. But that doesn't quite matter. As you can see, he used a keymap there, for a nanosecond you can actually see the English letters, past they're converted to Japanese.

Please, tell me if there is any other information you need from me in order to create the application, I'll be more than glad to give you that info.

Thanks alot, your assistance is highly appreciated. And have a good day.
    Last edited by Starchild; 2008-12-28 at 12:51. Reason: Forgot to add something

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: A Symbian S60 3rd ed. appliction request: for those of you who have the time

Before developing anything/getting anybody to develop, a thing to try could be asking around on end-user discussions if other users have also met the problem, if such application already exists, etc.: http://discussions.mea.nokia.com

Re: A Symbian S60 3rd ed. appliction request: for those of you who have the time

I didn't seem to find anything useful there regarding my problem. Hope I posted this in the right place.
    I guess a few other people had my problem, but they didn't find a solution for it. I have this idea for this keymap app that should work.

Hi there!

Im making a universal appeal!
    I also bought the apple wireless keyboard for my N95 but I cant use any special characters like "é, á, ê, â, ñ, î, í, ô, ç" etc.. to write in Portuguese.
    Im sure a lot of people around the world have the same problem in their own languages.
    I made an exhaustive research on the internet to find any kind of solution but zero answer.
    I've been using the keyboard so far and its a fantastic experience to use it for make notes in a classroom for example.
    The only problem is the accents. With that it would be just perfect!
    So please if you know any answer to that issue let me know.

Cheers,
    Adriano

Wow, this is quite a thread bump.

Anyways, I'm actually an iPhone owner now. I didn't find a solution for this issue.

I don't have any programming experience in mobile phones. The way I see it, the best and maybe only solution for this issue is create an app that converts every key upon pressing it, according to what key it is, to a desired, different (or not) letter. I don't know how hard it is but seems fairly possible, programming-wise.

Good luck with your quest