Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Getting an error!

Posted by Srinivasa Sivakumar, srini_sss@hotmail.com
    on February 06, 2001 at 22:51

I've just downloaded the Nokia Tool kit 2.1. The installation went well and it installed the Java Runtime also. When I'm starting the Tool kit I'm getting the following error.

"Could not fine the main class. Program will exit!" from "Java Virtual Machine Launcher"

What do I do?

Super Contributor

RE: Getting an error!

Posted by Garrison Brinkmann, gmbrinkmann@bigfoot.com
    on February 09, 2001 at 11:33

(For some reason, the developers of this form require that messages not have certain punctuation characters, including the backslash. As a result, I must use forward slashes to indicate Windows folder paths. So, wherever you see a "/", replace it with a backslash. Now, on to the response...)

I was having this problem, as well. In the user's guide (WAP_Tookit/Docs/UsersGuide.pdf), special launching instructions are provided for Windows NT users. These instructions appear to work for me in Windows 2000, as well.

If you're having trouble getting the toolkit to work in Win2k, here's how I created a working shortcut that can be put anywhere and double-clicked to open the toolkit:

1. Right-click on your desktop and select New->Shortcut.

2. A dialog will appear asking for the location of the item. Enter the following:

java.exe -jar toolkit.jar

3. You will then be asked for a name for the shortcut and the default will be "java.exe". Name it something descriptive like "Nokia WAP Toolkit".

4. Click Finish.

5. Right-click on the new shortcut you just created and select Properties.

6. In the Shortcut tab of the Properties window, there is a "Start in" textbox. Enter the path to the folder where you installed the tookit. For example:

C:/Program Files/Nokia/WAP_Toolkit

7. Click OK.

8. Double-click the shortcut. Three windows should appear: a command line window, the main GUI, and a "Blueprint" window displaying an illustration of a mobile phone. If these windows didn't appear, check over the steps above to make sure you performed all the steps correctly.

That's it! Optionally, you can move the shortcut anywhere you want, including your Start menu. If you think the default icon is too plain, open the shortcut's properties window as explained above and click "Change Icon" in the Shortcut tab, browse to the Toolkit.exe program in the WAP_Toolkit folder, and use its main icon.

Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

RE: Getting an error!

Posted by Michael Geramb, michael.geramb@aon.at
    on February 09, 2001 at 11:11

A colleague (Gerhard T.) found the resolution. If you have environment variables with blanks and a backslash at the end, remove the backshlash and it works.