Discussion Board

file formats supported by OMA 2.0 and 1.0 for applying DRM

I want to find wot ol media files are be supported by OMA 2.0 and 1.0. Its not even there on OMA's official site "openmobilealliance.com/org". Say a DivX, avi or rm file for dat matter, can we DRMise it the way we do it for mpeg files. Any help would be appreciated.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: file formats supported by OMA 2.0 and 1.0 for applying DRM

Don't take this as "the" answer as I really have't look into this detail but what would be really the difference for OMA on what the file extension or MIME type of the file is?

The system takes some binary data as input and some metadata. On the phone, the binary data is being decoded and played/accessed with the suitable decoder/handler.

In fact the DRM Specifications define the digital content (or media object) as "A digital work e.g. a ringing tone, a screen saver, a Java game ..." so any digital work can be protected (unless otherwise specified somewhere else in the document).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

thanx for d reply Lucian
    the question however remains unanswered coz wot u've said is a generic stuff. i skimmed thru d link u gave but didn't come across nething useful in dis regard. what i am lookin for is a list of media content formats that are supported by OMA 2.0 AND 1.0 for applying DRM. spl emphasis being on DivX, avi and rm formats i.e are they OMA compliant...
    thanx in advance

But this is easy to test. DivX is not a format supported by the phone so if you make it work for DivX you can be sure it works for all. So, take one small file, apply DRM protection to it and deploy it to the phone. Then, having a DivX player installed, see if you can access the content according to specified protection rules.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

thanx again ..yea...dats pretty logical n i tried dat way as well....however twas for .avi files n instead of runnin it on d cell i tried it on desktop using wmp jst like d way i tested DRMised mpeg files which is doin fine. but the file format i.e. .avi files wen DRMised are not getting played usin wmp. wot shud i infer from dis..are avi files not supported by OMA or its jst dat i have to hav a different player for this file.

Another interesting behavior dat i hav come across, only after u suggested though, is that .dm files wen transferred to handset are visible only thru file manager in the gallery not like other raw files which r visible irrespective of how u access them. n wen i try playin d dm file (frm d file manager) its showin an insufficient memoy error though arnd 120 MB memory is free n .dm file's size is only 6 MB.

m sorry if its a stupid question but i need a solution.

My contact with DRM is only random and accidental, therefore I'm afraid I can't try to help you further. Let's hope somebody else jumps in and shares some knowledge.
    -- Lucian