Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question what should be the uid of my static lib??

Hi all,

I have an aplication which depends on one or more static .lib created by me.

My aplication has a uid in protected range . should all the uids of my .libs
    are also in protected range for signing.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: what should be the uid of my static lib??

UID-s are required only for things you deploy to the device. A .lib file never gets to the device, so it needs no UID (if the toolchain happens to complain about missing UID-line, write "UID 0").

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    UID-s are required only for things you deploy to the device. A .lib file never gets to the device, so it needs no UID (if the toolchain happens to complain about missing UID-line, write "UID 0").
    Thanks for replying . so it means that if i have a diff.. module works as a static .lib (Created by me). actually they are specified as .dll in my pkg file
    Code:
    "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\abc.dll"-"!:\sys\bin\abc.dll"
    and it will not create any pb in signing process if they have no uid(0) or uid in
    unprotected range.

Please confirm..

In that case you are talking about a "static interface dll", and you need to allocate a "real" UID for it. Just as you would do with a .exe. So no, 0 will not work in this case (based on your first description I thought that you were asking about a simple .lib file - without .dll).

Regular Contributor

k, Thanks very much. But don't u think it looks unnessary and makes signing process more complex. suppose there are 10 diff .dll in an app Then we have to go for 10 diff uids.. but all refers to only one aplication...

The number of applications using a particular .dll does not matter. What matters is that it is a .dll.
    Anyway, if you are interested, you can simply try what happens if you do not provide unique identifiers to your .dll-s.

The recommendation from Symbian was that if you have an application package consisting of one exe and several DLLs then only one UID is needed and the dlls will have the same UID3 as the exe.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.symbian.com/Developer/techlib/v9.1docs/doc_source/N10356/BuildTools/UsingUids.guide.html"]How to use UIDs[/URL]
    UID3 identifies objects having a particular UID2 and can be thought of as a project identifier; for example, UID3 might be shared by all objects belonging to a given program, including library DLLs, if any, framework DLLs, and all documents.
    A later version of the document no longer adds the DLLs on the list of modules that can share the same UID3 although I think that is a simple omission and not a change of paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/v9.2docs/doc_source/ToolsAndUtilities/BuildTools/UsingUids.guide.html"]How to use UIDs[/URL]
    UID3 distinguishes between objects with the same UID2 and can be thought of as a project identifier. For example, for an application, the same UID3 is shared by the executable, registration file (which defines the application's icon, caption, and some capability information), and all documents.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite