Discussion Board

Hybrid View

How to know from j2me that the device has inbuilt/Integrated GPS?

Hi all,
    I am stucking with a new problem,and i search for solution but did not get any & i need help on this because i have very small knowledge on this issue.

I am developing an application which is related on GPS and I need to know first that is the device supports the GPS(i.e. is the device has inbuilt/Integrated GPS)? If it has inbuilt/integrated GSP then have to work through GPS but if not then have to simply FIRE some specified url.

I have tried with Location API version and if i decide on basis the "microedition.location.version" then my decision becomes worng,because in some devices like N73,the device don't have inbuilt GPS but it supports external GSP through Bluetooth and in that case Location API version's System.getProperty also returns value.
    And i want to know only inbuilt/Integrated GPS and not getting any way to find the solution.

Please assist me how to trace the inbuilt GPS info form MIDlet?Because i have to work with inbuilt GPS only.

Thanks to all.

Super Contributor

Re: How to know from j2me that the device has inbuilt/Integrated GPS?

true, checking ig location api's are available doesnt implicate that an inbuilt gps is available...
    afaik there is no way to check specifically if an integrated gps is available.
    location api wont help with that, its even worse : immagine u have an integrated gps and a bluetooth gps, the only thing u can ask location api is a location, then the api will decide on its own if it will use the integrated or the bluetooth gps... so u wouldnt even be able to specify programmatically which locationProvider to use...

Yes, I am agree with you although i have very few knowledge on this topic. So i am seeking help on this. As you, there are no way to know that "Is the device has inbuilt GPS or not?"

Here are so many good profiles who are also forum champions or Nokia developer. I want to draw their kind attention on regarding this. If there have any way using native method? I mean using Symbian can i get that information(Information on Device's inbuilt GPS). If yes then using native method i can use it into my J2ME apps.

In anyway i need to know that info. Please suggest me.

Many Many thanks.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I dont think JNI is supported in CLDC. So even its possible with Symbian C++ you may not be able to use that in J2ME application. Rather than working around for internal GPS you can mention in your product brochure the supported handsets and mention only the handsets having internal GPS.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

Super Contributor

sunil is actually right...
    there is no way u can call native methods (C++) in J2me....
    there is some framework available which lets a j2me app comunicate with a Symbia app (C++) through internal sockets...
    So u can read information (like battery status etc) in the Symbian app and send this info to ur j2me app...
    This means though developing 2 apps and also for a user that he will have to install both...
    still I am sure u cant get the information u want (inbuilt gps available) in J2me...
    and I am not sure if its possible in C++, but fortunately there is also a Symbian (C++) forum here so u can get ur answer from the experts there...

Thanks Sunil & Tiger79 for your kind suggestion.