Discussion Board

Nokia phones cannot differentiate between contacts having almost similar numbers

I have two contacts whose numbers differ by only the first two digits, like 98........ and 99........
    Both these numbers are 10 digits long
    So, when i get a call from either of these numbers, it displays the number and not the contact name.

Why might this be ?

Re: Nokia phones cannot differentiate between contacts having almost similar numbers

Oh and btw, i have an N81
    I've also seen the same problem in many other nokia phones including series60 and series40 phones

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Nokia phones cannot differentiate between contacts having almost similar numbers

Usually the checking is done with last digits only (I would quess its around 8 last digits normally), thus if you have numbers in internation & local format they both could be matched..

Nokia Developer Champion

I think Nokia phones (most of them) have been checking only the last 7 digits for the last 15 years or so.

I can imagine it made some limited sense 15 years ago with much less processing power and memory in the devices. It is too bad that the same algorithm is still used in today's devices with many times more of run-time memory, storage memory and processing power.

Nokia Developer Moderator

It is not even an "algorithm": most probably "CContactIdArray *MatchPhoneNumberL(const TDesC &aNumber, TInt aMatchLengthFromRight)" method from CPbkContactEngine/CContactDatabase is used, just aMatchLengthFromRight is left as 7.