Discussion Board

How to get the SDK to the JavaScriptCore DLL that ships on S60 devices?

We are porting Boxely, which is an XML/CSS rendering engine/runtime, to S60.
    Boxely requires tight integration with a java script engine and hence we need to integrate it with the JavaScriptCore DLL that ships with S60. However, an SDK for JavaScriptCore is not included with the Carbide IDE. Meaning there are no headers or associated JavaScriptCore.lib, so that we can access the JavaScriptCore APIs.

I looked at the API to the BrowserEngine SDK which is included with Carbide, and this is not adequate for our purposes. I also checked out the S60WebKit source and this appears out of date. It has been at least 18 months since it has been modified. Further, we would like to use the JavaScriptCore.dll that ships, rather than go through the risks and overhead of spinning our own version of JavaScriptCore.dll, nor do we want to try to backward engineer the SDK to the shipping DLL from S60WebKit source.

So, is there a way to obtain the SDK to the JavaScriptCore.dll that is delivered with the S60 firmware?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to get the SDK to the JavaScriptCore DLL that ships on S60 devices?

I do not know much about WebKit, however are you talking about this page: http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/S60browser/ ?
    8th of December, 2008 did not happened that long time ago, in my opinion.
    If WebKit sources for S60 3rd edition initial release seem to be old, that may be because of the fact that there are no recent devices using S60 3rd edition initial release. So they were shipped with older binaries.
    The latest S60 3rd edition release (and probably the last one) is S60 3rd edition FP2, and the accompanying WebKit source dates to end of August, 2008.
    So I just do not see the problem. Also note that you are right, Carbide is an IDE. Hence it has no API-s to anything, SDK-s have.

Thanks. I actually wasn't looking at that page to get the source. I was following the instructions on
    http://webkit.org/building/checkout.html (which I got from an article discussing S60WebKit) which stated you could get the latest source from subversion using:
    svn checkout http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit/trunk WebKit

Which hasn't seen code updates for 18 months.

However, the link you provided looks like what I'm looking for, that is the javascriptcore source associated with each release of the S60 SDK.

I'm sorry if my loose sentence about the APIs included with the SDKs installed with the Carbide installation procedure confused you, but I would think that it was fairly clear that what I was asking for was an SDK given my subject line: "How to get the SDK to the JavaScriptCore DLL that ships on S60 devices"
    I'll attempt to be more precise in the future.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Ok-ok, I am sorry about my sharp tongue. But it is true that I know nothing about S60WebKit (neither its name), so I have simply copied the name from your post and searched for it using Google. And that one was the very first hit ("I'm Feeling Lucky").

Super Contributor

You would have to raise a support and partnering request to see if the API's can be made avaliable.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]