Discussion Board

J2ME using a mobile phone

Hi there,

I have been using the Java Wireless Toolkit 1.0.4 for J2ME development. The emulator proved to be handy for the development. My question is, how do I try out the J2ME program using a real mobile phone? What are the software and hardware that I will need to use? Can I try out the program without being connected to the internet, in a closed environment? (say, by using a mobile phone and an infrared port and some software running on the computer.)

Thanks in advance.

RE: J2ME using a mobile phone

Using any IDE, your program should make an "jar"-file. Simply mail this file on your mobile phone or transfer it via infrared, and install it. For over the air download (OTA), you need another "jad" file (descriptor) beneath the jar file. For further information please look at "Java MIDP Application Developer's Guide for Nokia Devices v1.0" in the documents section.

Regards
    Elwoodini

RE: J2ME using a mobile phone

Hi,

I have Nokia 6310i and notebook with infrared port. I installed Nokia PC Suite 4.81, where is Nokia Application Installer, which allows to move the midlets to the mobile phone. The simple way for the creation of the application is:

1. Create required Java MIDP application
    2. compile it
    3. Create the manifest file
    4. create JAR
    5. create JAD file, which gives the description of the midlet, jar and other and which is runable in the emulator and is used for the download to mobile

Some of the informations in the manifest file (MANIFEST.MF) and *.jad are the same (and must be the same). If you are not able to download jad, you can have generaly these two problems:

1. the size of the JAR file is incorrect in the JAD
    2. different values for the same attributs in JAD and in manifest file

The size of the JAR can change, if you change your application, you have to edit the size in JAD as well.

Hope, it helps.

Regards,

Jan