Discussion Board

5310 Needs Firmware Update To Allow The Display To Stay On!

Right now the 5310 XpressMusic shuts off the screen every 10-15 seconds.

Depending on the many different types of 3rd party applications you are running on the phone, using the different menu keys will result in negative effects, because every piece of software designed to run on the phone isn't always going to respond to the same key inputs when you push a particular key to turn the screen on.

I have been in many situations where I thought a particular key would be appropriate, to only realize I lost what I was doing, the application shut down, or something had to be started over. Simply put, you're not going to always be able to use the Menu key to turn the screen on, sometimes yes, and sometimes no. So for all the various types of software out there, you now have know the quirks of the software to know which key is best to have the dispaly come back on, which can be a real pain when you forget.

Also it was really bad judgment on the part of Nokia to have a screen shut off every 10 seconds, especially when the phone has many capabilites built into along the lines of multimedia, office productivity, internet activity, email, etc...

Who wants to be involved with something in regards to writing and reading as an example and then have to keep turning the screen on every 10 seconds to do what it is you're trying to do? Would you want to sit in front of your computer for hours doing something and in that period of time have your monitor shut off every 10 seconds? Of course not, so you should at least look at it like this, it's a real inconvenience, that also causes problems too if you're not careful the key you pressed.

Nokia needs to get a firmware update out for the 5310 so that users can simply keep their display on when they need it, and put it in the sleep mode when you need it to shut off.

I need my phone for business purposes not just pleasure, and I don't like having to keep punching the keypad to turn it on every ten seconds. The phone is a piece of technology meant to be used, not going to sleep all the time, and didn't Nokia realize, having the display constantly going on an off through out the day does put more wear and tear on it, then just leaving it on? Electronics are meant to be run and used, not going on and off, it's not good for it.

Someone in management really needs to look at this and hear what I'm saying because the people who did this aren't the people using this phone, because if they were, they'd of changed some firmware on it a long time ago realizing what a pain it is to use this phone.

I hope someone responsible for firmware within the company, or whoever knows people who handle this, can give some input back to this post, because I need to use a phone, not have it going to sleep on me all the time, and if Nokia isn't going to resolove this soon, I'm left with no other choice then to get another phone.

As a man that has a good background in technology and electronics, who happens to also work in the IT business, I don't know of any consumer that is going to be looking at devices and asking themself, making decisions based on whether or not the display stays on or goes off all the time. Consumers who understand technology don't look at it this way, they are looking at a device to use it, so they naturally assume it's just going to stay on, and it will go off when they decide it will go off, thus giving them the option to choose.

Nokia on their poor judgement made this call for consumers and it was a very poor choice, having a display always shut off evey 10-15 seconds with no options to keep it on is just unacceptable, for technology that needs to be used!

I truly can't believe a company like Nokia would of made such a poor choice.

THANKS
    Last edited by DasFox; 2009-01-09 at 02:01.

Super Contributor

Re: 5310 Needs Firmware Update To Allow The Display To Stay On!

Don't know if this helps, but...

You can change the screensaver timeout, at least, by going to the menu > Settings > Display > Screen saver > Time-out (scroll down until you find it)

In the same place under "Display", you can also turn on/off "Power saver" and "Sleep mode" settings, if you wish.

And in Settings under "Phone" you can choose if you want the Automatic keyguard on or off.

I set the Power Saver and Sleep Mode off the I turned on the screensaver and set the Time-Out and nothing, after 15 seconds the screen does blank.

The screensaver half the time never works too...

This is really pathetic...

Nokia Developer Moderator

You seem to be describing
    a) a product specific problem
    b) an end user problem

As such, Forum Nokia has nothing to do with this and your attention and feedback should be directed towards http://www.nokia.com/support and http://discusssions.europe.nokia.com
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

DasFox has already posted the same question(s) there.

Thats a) good and b) enough

I undestand the frustration some may feel about how a product works, whether due to a bug or to a missing feature, but that doesn't mean that they should post feedback anywhere where the Nokia logo is displayed.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

DasFox, I agree with you. I just got the phone and it is extremely annoying that the screen closes every 10-15 seconds.

Nokia should put an option that you decide how many seconds before the screen shuts off.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Thats a) good and b) enough

I undestand the frustration some may feel about how a product works, whether due to a bug or to a missing feature, but that doesn't mean that they should post feedback anywhere where the Nokia logo is displayed.
    I was told to post here by Nokia that this is where the developers are, and I'd like them to see this because the phone needs a firmware update, so we can keep our displays on.

The problem here is that Nokia didn't include firmware to keep the display on.

I want to use the phone it's a tool to use, not have it go to sleep every 10 seconds.

Since you are also here, you must be a developer too. So you could simply fix the problem yourself.

More seriously: yes, people around here are software developers, but only a very few of them work for Nokia (the "Forum Nokia Expert"-s). And even they do not work on developing firmwares of actual mobile devices. "Forum Nokia" and "Nokia Mobile Phones" (if that is the name of the sub-organization developing the devices) are two distinct members of the Nokia family.

I don't know who from Nokia sent you here but that indication was wrong. Reading the above should be clear to you why at this point all you can do is provide end-user feedback at http://discussions.europe.nokia.com, the only channel through which you can let the phone programs know what the users (or at least some of them) need.
    -- Lucian

Tech Support on the telephone told me to post here, telling me this is where Nokia developers are at so you can post an issue for them to read.

Anyhow all I can say is this phone is a pain, dealing with display always shutting off, absolutely pathetic.

I certainly hope when the 5800 comes out it will be better then this...

Nokia's tech support person was obviously wrong and that should have been clear to ou since the FLAC story already.

As for 5800 the phone is already shipping so if you would go to the end-user discussion board you could discuss with others about that device and how they perceive the aggressive battery saving policy implemented on Nokia phones.
    -- Lucian