Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unable to build Qt project

I'm starting out on Qt for S60, and I've got as far as creating creating a new Qt project in Carbide.

However, when I go to build, I get the following error:

BLDMAKE ERROR: Can't find "\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\MyQtWidget\BLD.INF
    "

Why would BLD.INF not have been created?

I'm guessing that I haven't completed one of the build stages for Qt, but I'm not sure from the documentation what's missing.

I'm using qt-4.4.4-temple on Windows XP, using Carbide 2.0.

Thanks for help so far.

Sam Dutton

Re: Unable to build Qt project

Hi,

No bld.inf will be because qmake hasn't run. That's probably because you haven't got your Qt installation selected in the appropriate part of the preferences dialog in Carbide.c++. It could just possibly be because you haven't configured Qt yet and hence there is no qmake?

Mark

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by samdutton View Post
    I'm starting out on Qt for S60, and I've got as far as creating creating a new Qt project in Carbide.

However, when I go to build, I get the following error:

"

Why would BLD.INF not have been created?

I'm guessing that I haven't completed one of the build stages for Qt, but I'm not sure from the documentation what's missing.

I'm using qt-4.4.4-temple on Windows XP, using Carbide 2.0.

Thanks for help so far.

Sam Dutton
    Hi sam,
    Have you configured the Qt for the sdk that you are currently using? Try to build it from command prompt.
    Read this article on wiki about compiling from command prompt.
    Jajal Mehul

hi ..
    have u added path of qt in carbide c++ 2 Windows->Preferences->Qt Add the version of qt u are using.Whenever u create a project it takes the default version You can verify that by by going to project properties just configure for the added version and then Compile.
    Regards
    Kamal :)
    ------------------
    You never expect what expects you.

just check this now added the snapshot to it
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ith_Qt_for_S60
    Regards
    Kamal :)
    ------------------
    You never expect what expects you.

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    when creating a new Qt application with Carbide atleast for me it doesn't run qmake,
    so I have to do it from command prompt manually (once after creating the project).

Cheers,
    Jack

Interesting - I found this happened only the very first time I created a Qt project, but not after that. I reported it to the Carbide.c++ beta list but then I couldn't reproduce it.

Mark

Regular Contributor

Many thanks for all the replies, but I still can't get Qt to work from Carbide }:-(.

I've tried several things...

I checked Windows > Preferences in Carbide: 4.4.4-temple is the only Qt version selected.

It could just possibly be because you haven't configured Qt yet and hence there is no qmake? ...
    I've run configure -platform win32-mwc -xplatform symbian-abld -qconfig symbian -- and tried running qmake, which seems to be working fine.

Have you configured the Qt for the sdk that you are currently using?
    How do I do this?

I also tried to build a project from the command line: I ran qmake -project; qmake;
    make in my project directory, but got this error with make:

Code:
    \epoc32\gcc\bin\g++.exe was called but is not supported in this release
    One other thing -- because of corporate policies where I work, I can't install Qt/S60 on the C drive: they're installed on a separate (M) drive. Could this cause problems?
    Last edited by samdutton; 2009-01-13 at 11:52.

Hi,

I think things certainly work best if Qt, the S60 SDK, Carbide.c++ and the GCCE toolchain are all installed on the same drive. It shouldn't matter what that drive is, although Jim Gilmour has suggested that C: might be unintentionally hard-coded somewhere in the Temple release, following his problems installing on Windows Vista on drive D:.

Quote:
    Have you configured the Qt for the sdk that you are currently using?
    How do I do this?
    Actually you only configure Qt once (and you appear to have done that correctly), but you need to build it (for the emulator) for all the SDKs you want to use it on - I don't think this is the source of your problems though.

I'm not sure about the last error you saw:
    \epoc32\gcc\bin\g++.exe was called but is not supported in this release
    Just possibly it's a problem with the wrapper makefile - I haven't been using them.

qmake -project is for creating a new .pro file based on the .cpp and .h files etc. You should just run qmake (with no arguments) on a project that has a .pro file (which will be the case if you've created one in Carbide.c++).

Try this:
    1) Create a new Qt project in Carbide.c++
    2) Go to the directory that contains the project in a command prompt and type qmake.
    3) Go back to Carbide.c++ and try to build the project.

If 3) fails then go back to the command line and try to build from there by typing:
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld build winscw udeb

Let us know what happens.

Cheers,
    Mark

Regular Contributor

Hi Mark

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I think things certainly work best if Qt, the S60 SDK, Carbide.c++ and the GCCE toolchain are all installed on the same drive
    Qt, the S60 SDK and Carbide are all installed on my M drive. Excuse my igorance, but what's the GCCE toolchain? Is this the CSL Arm toolchain?

Try this:
    1) Create a new Qt project in Carbide.c++
    2) Go to the directory that contains the project in a command prompt and type qmake.
    3) Go back to Carbide.c++ and try to build the project.

If 3) fails then go back to the command line and try to build from there by typing:
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld build winscw udeb
    I did 1 and 2, no problem, but 3 failed:

BLDMAKE ERROR: Can't find "\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\newtest\BLD.INF".

I then ran bldmake bldfiles in my project directory (M:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\newtest) and got the same error.

Which part of the build process creates BLD.INF? (I've done lots of Qt desktop apps, but the S60 stuff is new to me!)

Sam

Hi Sam,

I suspect you have a conflict with another version of Qt in the system somehow. Most probably another Qt installation appears before the Temple release in your path?

If this is the case I'd suggest creating a batch file or two to swap these over in the path (i.e. completely remove one and replace with the other) when you switch from one environment to another.

Basically, bld.inf (and the .mmp and .pkg files) are created by running qmake. If this isn't working then either:
    a) qmake is running from the wrong location (because of a conflict as suggested above)
    b) qmake has not been correctly built for symbian-abld when you configured Qt

To directly answer your other question, yes, the GCCE toolchain is (more correctly called) the CSL (Code Sourcery - maintainers of GCC and related tools) ARM toolchain.

I hope we've finally found the problem.

Mark

Regular Contributor

Hi Mark

I think I might be getting there...

You were right: another version of qmake was being called.

I've now changed the PATH value, and running qmake -v gives the following:

QMake version 2.01a
    Qt version 4.4.4-temple in M:\Qt\4.4.4-temple\lib

(Not sure why it says lib --- I get the same running qmake -v directly in the bin directory.)

However, when I run qmake after creating a Qt project with Carbide, I still don't get a bld.inf file. I *do* get a .pkg file (and the other stuff) from Carbide.

I've also redone configure and build steps 4 and 5 on http://pepper.troll.no/s60prerelease...stall-s60.html.

Thanks for your patience...

Sam

Hi,

I'm a bit mystified by this lack of a bld.inf. Is there a .mmp file? And/or a generated makefile with a name that has a hex value in it?

Mark

Regular Contributor

Hooray! Finally worked it out.

I hadn't changed the QMAKESPEC environment variable. It should be symbian-abld.

Thanks (Mark) once again for all your replies.

Sam