Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question how to increase free memory size !

Hi,

how to increase free memory for use apps which requires many ressource ram ?

thanks !

(6260 8Mb)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how to increase free memory size !

You can increase the maximum amount of heap that your application can allocate (see http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...cheapsize.html) but other than that there's nothing you can/should do. The OS will close other applications if the resources are running low and more memory will be made available to your application (within reason, of course).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    You can increase the maximum amount of heap that your application can allocate (see http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...cheapsize.html) but other than that there's nothing you can/should do. The OS will close other applications if the resources are running low and more memory will be made available to your application (within reason, of course).
    Hi, sorry but I have difficulty in comprendr. it's what "epocheapsize" ? There is a tuto.

How about a search for "epocheapsize" on this forum, on SDK docs or on Google? It is impossible not to find more info on the subject, such as FAQ-1253 How does setting EPOCHEAPSIZE in the MMP file affect process creation/execution?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I did not say that I did not find, but that I did not understand. my english is not good and my technical English it's the worse.

that's all

Well, as your profile does not show your location is unlikely that you will get an answer from here in other language than English.
    -- Lucian

Then it's possible to explain to me more simply. It is necessary to install a app ?

You do not have to install anything, EPOCHEAPSIZE is a keyword which you can include into your .mmp file.
    You have to specify the minimum amount of free RAM your application needs for even being able to start (this is the first number), and you have to specify the maximum amount of RAM your application may need (this is the second one).
    The measurement unit is byte, and you can use either decimal numbers or hexadecimal ones.
    Unfortunately if the referred FAQ was not clear enough, my explanation is probably worse.
    Carbide's .mmp editor also provides settings for this, check the Options tab.

Looking back at actarusse's previous posts now I realize that he is not a programmer and this entire thread was a waste of time.

actarusse, there is no way to make your phone have more memory than physically available. If you have a large sis file to install (that would likely be a Symbian application so why do you ask about it in the Java forum?) then you better think of ways of reducing the size of that sis file.

If your phone is indeed a Nokia 6260 then that phone is a S60 2nd Edition FP1, free of Platform Security's restrictions and that means that in theory you could install the sis file directly to the memory card if you know what you're doing.

Anyhow, you either describe your problem from a software developer's perspective or you find your help on end-user forums (or from SIS file's provider).
    -- Lucian

Sorry if I made a mistake about section. effectively I am not developer. Thus without being developer there is a means to make otherwise ?

It is not as much as the wrong section as the wrong site

One thing is clear, the phone's memory is a finite resource and there's nothing you can do to change that. Also, without being a developers there's little (if anything) that you can control about the application you want to install.

What does the application developers says about the installation procedure? Have you contacted them for support?
    -- Lucian

It's a .sis game which makes 17Mb and when I start him the phone says to me the memory is insufficient.

I do not know what to make.

Contact game's developer and ask for support.
    -- Lucian

The game is rather old and it is a game japanese, but it should work with 6260 7610 6600 etc.

Nokia Developer Champion

If the game requires 17Mg to run and your phone only has 8Mg installed then there's nothing you can do.

A phone is not like a PC where you can simply install more memory.

Unless you are confusing 17Gb as the file size and not the memory size.

Find out the specifications of the game, if it says it needs more than 8Mg free RAM then nothing you can do.
    If it says it needs less, then close all the programs on your phone and try running the game again.

But you really should find a web site for users of your phone and go there instead of here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast