Discussion Board

Re: How to make a network telephone call without user prompt?

The user prompt is caused when I make network telephone call via a Flash Lite Application installed on my Nokia 6680.

Proposed Development
    I have built a Flash application which makes repeated telephone calls to the same phone number after a given period of delay without any user intervention other than initiating the process. This works as follows: With the telephone number and redial time delay (e.g. 180 seconds) parameters set, the process is initiated. The time delay counts down and when zero is reached, the telephone number is dialled. At this point the time delay is reset and is counting down to make the second call. (Note: The telephone numbered dialled would be purposely terminated prior to the second call being made). The process would continue until the application was stopped.

The Problem
    After the time delay has reached zero, instead of the phone commencing dialling the number, the user is presented with an authentication message as follows. 'The current Flash content is attempting to dial this number’. The user is then prompted to either 'Allow' or 'Deny'. If the user selects 'Allow', the phone continues to make a network connection and dial the number as normal. Thus, the prompt prevents automatic repeating cycle.
    Last edited by 1stuknokia; 2009-01-11 at 23:37.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: How to make a network telephone call without user prompt?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stuknokia View Post
    The user prompt is caused when I make network telephone call via a Flash Lite Application installed on my Nokia 6680.

I have built this application which simply provides a facility for a user to make a network connection to a phone number. This is achieved by the user entering the telephone number into a field and selecting a dial button. After the user has selected the 'Dial' button, the user is shown an authentication message as follows. 'The current Flash content is attempting to dial this number'. The user is then prompted to either 'Allow' or 'Deny'. If the user selects 'Allow', the phone continues to make a network connection and dial the number as normal.

I already understand that the prompt is there for security reasons which give the user the option to authorise the call, however, my objective here is to find a method to avoid the authentication process occurring or which will disable the authentication process when this particular flash application is being used. This could work in such a way that prior to running the application, there would be a setting where I would select 'Disable Authentication'. The setting could either by unique or global setting for all applications.

I would imagine that this could be achieved by modifying the relevant software but this is as far as I have managed to glean so far and have come unstuck. I therefore have the following questions for anyone who wishes to give me some guidance.

1. What process causes the prompt?
    So far I can think of 3 possible causes,

a. The network provider
    b. The phone software
    c. The Flash Lite software

2. Possible solutions?
    a. Perhaps there is a simple answer and that is that the application needs to be recognised as being 'Trusted'. Is there a setting somewhere?

b. If the cause is either the phone or Flash Lite software, is there a means to modify the code? If so does anyone know how to do this?

c. http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...70&postcount=4
    This thread describes briefly that it is possible to avoid the prompt using a Proxy server but I am not too sure if this remedy relates to my issue?
    1. What process causes the prompt?
    A. Ofcourse , its Flash which causes the prompt .coz u can make a call without a prompt in Python

Ok ..let me tell u an easiest solution .Just put the making network call function in the Left Soft Key Listener. So, as soon as the user presses the left soft key to initiate a call , The prompt is automatically hitted to "Allow" and the user wont come to know that either he pressed Allow or not coz he just pressed the Left Soft key Once. Take A look At my phone pad.

Thats the only trick . But what if u dont want to use left soft key to initiate a phone call .You want to use some sort of button etc .In that cases this trick fails.
    According to my vision, there is no way by using pure Flash to eliminate that prompt programatically. Yes , u can use python to complete the Job. Hope it helps u to some extent ..

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Thank you for your reply.

Because of your response, I have now realised that I had omitted an important factor. I have updated the original post and it now describes a time delay which occurs after the dial button is selected. This may now influence your suggestions? Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thank you for your reply.

Because of your response, I have now realised that I had omitted an important factor. I have updated the original post and it now describes a time delay which occurs after the dial button is selected. This may now influence your suggestions? Thanks.
    BTW u can manage your source code in such a way that On pressing left soft key it calls only one function that is intiating a call.In that way , time delayation can be omitted.
    Otherwise, you have to interlink either python or c++ to initiate a call if u dont like prompt . Or use Flyer Frameworks

But ! If u r using Flash Lite 3 than may be theres something funny for you (I didnt tested) :
    Tip Of The Day
    or
    Flash Lite Security

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Thanks again for your reply.

Apologies once again, because of your last response, I notice that I have omitted another feature and have not explained accurately!

The flash application process repeats after the time delay interval.

I have re-written my original post and hopefully this time I have explained fully.

I have been advised that ‘Flyer Framework’ software may overcome the intervention of the prompt.

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or expertise in this area who can expand on what needs to be achieved here?

Nokia Developer Champion

I have been advised that ‘Flyer Framework’ software may overcome the intervention of the prompt.

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or expertise in this area who can expand on what needs to be achieved here?
    I started working on a project which extends flash lite using Python. A totally new algorithm and will try to provide max number of features. It will support flash lite 2.0(& onwwards) and will support 2nd and 3rd edition phones hopefully. Hope i will able to finalize first version . After that the begginer developers have a lot of fun.(coz its free ) Stay Tuned .
    Upto now , u can acheive this small feature if u know lil python .If dont intrested than wait a few weeks.

Best Regards,

SajiSoft

Nokia Developer Expert

The user prompt you're seeing is a security measure that's part of Flash Lite on Nokia devices. There isn't a way to disable the prompt (as far as I know) and is a FOL.

Best,
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]