Discussion Board

Performance Investigator

Hi!

Can anyone tell me how to use performance investigator tool by using the Emulator ?

I have read different articles but all of them explain that first i should install the profiler to the S60 device.

I wan to install it into emulator but couln not be able to do so.

Being a new developer, I dont know how to install the profiler .sisx file to the emulator.

Can anyone please help me in this regard ?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Performance Investigator

If they onlt have installation files for the device, then it can only be used in a real device. anyway, running it in a emulator propably would not give too accurate data, so it is better to be done in real device.

currently, I dont have any device to test my application.

therefore i can't generate the .dat profiler file.

Do you have any .dat sample profiler file for a simple application like helloworld which i can use to test the performance.

I just wana have an idea that how it works.

Nokia Developer Expert

don't really have anything for it, anyway, did you read the white paper Wiki has link to: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...e_Investigator

Yes I do have read this paper as well as the help provided by carbide.

But the problem is that both of them say to transfer the profiler .sisx file to the devise by using USB or anything else but its related to transfer to the device.

I dont wana check the device. I wana check my application by using the emulator ?

Isnt it any possible way that I can make an application, add it to emultor. And then somehow add the profiler .sis file too in to the emulator and then generate the .dat file to do the analysis ?

In short is there any way to do the performance analysis by using emulator, not the device ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

No, you cannot profile the application in the emulator and it would be pointless to even try. If your application functions properly on the emulator you should declare happy with that and try to have it tested on a real phone. Chances are that it will work ok on the phone too but then again, it might not work at all or it might require some optimization. But you will deal with that only after you have the application tested at least once on the real device.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I have understood what you wana say but my problem is that I have to do the performance investigation somehow by using the emulator. I am not allowed to use any Hardware.

I just have to do a simulation.

Kindly tell me any idea about that problem.

AFAIK there is no tool that you can use for such task. At best you can instrument your code and measure the time spent inside each method but the resolution of the timers will not give you acurate results.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

ok ..

then how can i instrument the code to find the time spent inside each method ?

Well, take the time before the method call, then take the time after the method is completed and calculate the execution time ...
    -- Lucian

welll ...

U know it will not give me the results that performance investigator tools give me like memory usage, power usage, threads etc.

Isnt thre any way to ganerate the .dat file that the profiler generates ?

Or ..

By using the emulator Can i import the .sis file ?

Because Whenever I want to import the profiler.sis file using the emulator it gives me error of INVALID signatures...

Nokia Developer Expert

The point is that the sis is made foe device installation, if you would like to install a sis into a emulator, it would be needed to be build for wins udeb, and as there is no sis for that particular application that would have been build so, you can not isntall it to the emulator.

also as the HW and other issues are very different between device and emulator environment, it would be nearly pointless on using it in a emulator, thus best option for you would be to utilize it in a device.

If you need some profiling in a emulator, you could do as ltomuta said, or you could try building somehting by yourself, for exmample TaskSpy sources might be helpful on that task, and if you want to check it, then just utilize google and find it.

Anyway, please do read all the posts in this thread, and you should understand that you can not do it in a emulator with the application you are trying, so you might as well stoprepeating yourself on the issue..