Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian DBMS - Porting application from Windows Mobile to Symbian

Hi

I'm busy porting an application from Windows Mobile to Symbian, but I'm having one major problem and hopefully a Symbian guru can advise me.

I'm using Symbian DBMS for data storage where the Windows Mobile version uses SQL Compact. My problem is how to get the data from the SQL Compact database into a new Symbian DBMS database. Is there some tool available for this? I've tried exporting to SQL statements, modifying it and using dbshell to import it, but dbshell doesn't have internationalization support and my data is in Arabic. I would enter it manually, but it's several hundreds MBs of data.

Surely somebody has written a utility for this or has a good technique?

Regards

Lionel

P.s. The database only contains one table.

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian DBMS - Porting application from Windows Mobile to Symbian

Sorry to say there are non for your requirement.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,

my advice would be:

1/ Export the data from Windows Mobile databse file to some text format. I guess the XML would serve you well. As your data are arabic, be carefull about encoding and use e.g. UTF-8. For this you will probably need to program some simple method in your Windows Mobile code, i.e. do this export on your own directly under Pocket PC emulator.

2/ Take the exported xml file, copy it into Symbian SDK and make another method, now under Symbian OS, which will take the file and insert the data in the Symbian DBMS file.

So you have to program two methods, one for exporting on Windows Mobile and one for importing under Symbian OS.

BR
    STeN

Regular Contributor

Thanks,

Sounds good. Is anything special required in order to use UTF-8 in a Symbian DBMS? It shouldn't be too big an issue to do it via XML, surely a lot better than by hand.

Regards

Lionel

Quote Originally Posted by stenlik View Post
    Hi,

my advice would be:

1/ Export the data from Windows Mobile databse file to some text format. I guess the XML would serve you well. As your data are arabic, be carefull about encoding and use e.g. UTF-8. For this you will probably need to program some simple method in your Windows Mobile code, i.e. do this export on your own directly under Pocket PC emulator.

2/ Take the exported xml file, copy it into Symbian SDK and make another method, now under Symbian OS, which will take the file and insert the data in the Symbian DBMS file.

So you have to program two methods, one for exporting on Windows Mobile and one for importing under Symbian OS.

BR
    STeN

Regular Contributor

I've found this program that might be useful in case somebody else has a similar issue:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/databa...export_db.aspx

I'm quite sure it either supports SQL Compact or I can make it support SQL Compact.