Discussion Board

Can you send your App via Bluetooth

I want to send my application via bluetooth
    I mean can I send my application from the code of the application itself.

Super Contributor

Re: Can you send your App via Bluetooth

Hi,

what do you mean exactly? You want to have a possibility to send your application itself to another phone and you want to have such possibility e.g. in your application menu? I think you can do it, but when your application is installed on the phone it is unpacked from the installation package (sis/x file) and application files are copied to their proper location. To have possibility to send your application to other phone I think the only possibility is that the installation package will contain the sisx itself, which will be stored on some place and it will be used for re-sending. Then you can send it via OBEX as a normal file.

BR
    STeN

Super Contributor

Your difficulty to overcome is:

1) The MIDlet can't get to its own .jar file

2) On most (all?) Nokia devices the in-firmware Closed Content List (CCL) prevents default/built-in applications and Bluetooth sending APIs from sending certain file/MIME types (like .jar files, .sis/.sisx files, etc.)

3) For installed Symbian/S60 applications, installing the application does not leave the original .sis/sisx file around, and there are no tools (on Symbian 9.*) to repackage and resign it on the device.

Easiest, if the application does not send itself, but just sends a web link where the recipient cand download it.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by stenlik View Post
    Hi,

what do you mean exactly? You want to have a possibility to send your application itself to another phone and you want to have such possibility e.g. in your application menu? I think you can do it, but when your application is installed on the phone it is unpacked from the installation package (sis/x file) and application files are copied to their proper location. To have possibility to send your application to other phone I think the only possibility is that the installation package will contain the sisx itself, which will be stored on some place and it will be used for re-sending. Then you can send it via OBEX as a normal file.

BR
    STeN
    Hi is correct. I have tried it on Nokia E61i J2ME platform and it works fine.

Musaab, does this help?