Discussion Board

Thread: Help Flash-Lite

Help Flash-Lite

I have made an application which show user its subjects grade after giving his userid and pass as input ..i used flash cs3 to develop this application and its a mobile project. its an actually databse project using php and mysql ... so php will run on server side.

my question is how do i export it to mobile to run and check its results... do i ahve to convert the file into anything befor transfring to mobile or how.... and does my phone need to have flash lite.

Re: Help Flash-Lite

If your device supports flash lite natively (you can check it in device central online library) you can put your swf file into the others folder and click on it to launch. If you are using a flash lite developer version (not installed into device from manufacturer) you have to do the same, but launch the flash lite player and then browse the others folder and click on the file.

I was seeing your screenshot and let me give you some advice... I think you are using a datagrid component, and I can see your memory is up to more than 1800 kb (I don't know if before you took this screenshot you worked with the application). This is too much for flash lite, maybe you don't know that most of flash lite devices have 2MB of memory for the player, so you are near the memory limit you have.

Is not a good practice to use flash components in Flash Lite, because they use too much resources, so I recommend you to change that.

Regards,

Marcos

thx buddy i m totally new in this bussines and i dont know anything and after reading your post i belive u r write about datagrid... so i mgona remove it right away coz i tested it in E61 the project runs fine and ask for internet connection upon clicking login but trows error "Problem with content Error:4".

i am developing grade book aplpication where user can see his/her current sem result... so what should i use to show all the subject like a tabular form.

one more thing while publishing what are the best settings i should choose.

thx alor for ur advice i hope i will get some of ur time and learn alot.

hi,

If it was me , i would ditch the components all together and use dynamic textfields to display the data, using XML or Loadvars (name/value pairs) to bring in the values.

This would give you a very low memory overhead and good performance. I presume you used XML to bring the data into the datagrid, so what you need to do is manually parse your XML file then pass the data to the text fields. ie. 'subject' data could go to 1, and the 'result' data could go to a second next to it. You can then use that saved memory on creating a killer interface

To find out more about manually parsing your XML , check out the flash lite help guide that comes with flash, there are some descriptive articles on how to do it. Also, if your new to flash lite development, i'd recommend you check out http://www.biskero.org/?page_id=342 for a list of tutorials available from the community, and also http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/ to view the adobe mobile and devices page.

have fun

Matt

Matt Pollitt
    Mobile UI designer
    www.ustwo.co.uk

Hey Matt

thx for your reply. i am using mysql for database and usnig php file on my server to send data back to flash. so is there anyway to get data from mysql to xml first then php and then flash or how. i have removed all the grids and now my apllicatin is 290kb wiht good interface. but when a user has more then one record it shows all in one line so how to show it in tebular form or how should i get recult into next keyframe after login is successfull.

thx

hey,
    try this tutorial : http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/...flashlite.html will give you a good idea on the best way to use XML. Also look @ : http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/...o_gallery.html

also, if your php script is just pulling back name value pairs you don't have to use xml at all... just split the variables and load them into the fields. You could either have a set number of fields on stage, or create rows at runtime by loading in movieClips with nested fields (see samirs tutorial above)

hope they help

matt