Discussion Board

About MAP for GPS co-ordinates

I am making a moblie application for my B.Tech 3 yr project..I want to show the location of any GPS mobile and (the path tracing too) in my local area for which i dont have any map...

Till now...
    I have made a midlet which is serching the GPS in mine Nokia navigator (6210) and giveing me Longitudes and Latitiudes ...Now i got stuck in how will i reach to formation of map as i have all details...(also will i have to do conversions to change the lat/lon to something flat surface...actually i dont have much idea regarding this...i am thinking that if i have to need such conversions then i have to collect some information for my grid zone tooo...)
    Please help meeeeee....

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: About MAP for GPS co-ordinates

Would you display the map on the phone or on a PC?

You might want to have a look at the Goolgle Maps APIs and see if you can map your position to the map image they provide.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Sir,i want to show map on mobile...for google map i have to use internet ..am i right?
    I want to create map of around 3 km area(of my university)and all having a offline data in mobile....how to do this...i am totally unaware..

Nokia Developer Champion

Step 1: License the digital map data from a supplier of digital maps (NAVTEQ, TeleAtlas, or other companies who have the data)

Once you've handled Step 1, come back and ask for Step 2 (because if you don't have the actual maps, there's no way to show where on the map a specific point is).

Nokia Developer Moderator

In this case, go to http://www.openstreetmap.org/ and see if they have data coverage over your area. Then you can use the Export feature to donwload one or more bitmap tiles that would then serve you as background to your map.

Knowing the coordinates of the cornes of such map tile you should be able to plot the relative position of the mobile phone on its surface.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-01-14 at 20:13. Reason: typo
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks Itomuta sir,,I got my area .....and you said rightly ...now i will calculate lat and lon of corners and somehow will make it work....if not able to do...i know you are here...i will come again..thanks a lot...