Discussion Board

[merged] N97 Specs on Forward-facing Camera

Hey I've searched around and cannot seem to find any specific specifications on the forward-facing camera on the Nokia N97 device just released. All the buzz is about the 5MP Carl Zeist camera in the back, but I'm interested in working with the front camera for doing video calls. Can anyone tell me about it? Resolution size for video capture, streaming fps speed, video codec formats, what apps comes on the device for doing video calls, etc.? Anything would be helpful for this spectacularly exciting device. Thanks.

Merrick

N97 Specs on Forward-facing Camera

Hey I've searched around and cannot seem to find any specific specifications on the forward-facing camera on the Nokia N97 device just released. All the buzz is about the 5MP Carl Zeist camera in the back, but I'm interested in working with the front camera for doing video calls. Can anyone tell me about it? Resolution size for video capture, streaming fps speed, video codec formats, what apps comes on the device for doing video calls, etc.? Anything would be helpful for this spectacularly exciting device. Thanks.

Merrick

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: N97 Specs on Forward-facing Camera

As far as I know this device has not been released yet, and that may be a cause of incomplete specs.

Oh, I thought it had been released, a very limited release in Spain only, but I thought it was released.

Merrick

There is no reason to assume that N97's secondary camera is less capable then that of N95 (see specs at http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N95) and for a video call type of application that is presumably good enough.

As for phone's video call support you will of course have the standard video telephony feature of the Phone application.

If you think that more [precise] info is needed you should add a note at the bottom of the Devices page.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: [merged] N97 Specs on Forward-facing Camera

i heard it was .3 megapixels after looking at wikipedia.im not sure if thats correct but u could go from there.

Thanks for your input and replies. I did finally find a 3rd party site that gave a few more detailed specs. on the N97 phone device. The site is listed below and it has the following to say about the secondary camera.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1616&view=1

Built-in; Secondary Camera
    Sensor Type: CMOS sensor
    Resolution: 320 x240 pixels (0.08MP)
    Camcorder: 176x144pixels , 15frame/sec
    Recordable Image Formats: JPG
    Recordable Video Formats: 3GPP, MPEG4

And from looking around at various other video call camera phones, the second camera isn't much better than that, they all seem to be about the same specifications.

Merrick

when is nokia coming out with a phone that shoots 720p video.
    i was really really hoping that the n97 would do it but it doesnt. damn it.

its got 16:9 screen. wonderful. but why no "16:9 hd" video capture.
    and i heard its video capture is 4:3 aspect vga res? is this true?

tired of carrying flip mino and cell phone around.
    been a loyal nokia customer for 10+ years and now samsung has delivered the omnia hd.
    and it runs symbian so all my apps will work on it most importantly my gps app.

so i guess ill need to wait till end 2010 or 2011 when nokia finally comes up with a 720p video capture enable phone? see u then...

-end rant-
    Last edited by FuGGer; 2009-02-19 at 05:25.

Although Nokia's phones have very good cameras one should not forget that Nokia is making phones still. HD cameras will come, you can count on that, but you should not expect a phone's camera to evolve as fast as the products of the camera manufacturers.

That being said, and this being a software development forum, which type of application do you have in mind that requirer that kind of hight performance video recording?
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-02-19 at 08:52.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite