Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian OS version 9.3

Hello All,
    I want to know that if I develop an application say for example S60 3rd edition FP2 (OS V9.2). If I need to check all the devices on which I can install and run my application , what all specifications do I need to check? Is checking the OS version and developer platform enough?
    Also if the same application I need to install on a device with OS V9.3 how do I do it? As far as think I need to download the new SDK and write the entire application for the new OS version. Is that right?
    Do the APIs used change with the OS version or the developer platform(s60 or s40)?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian OS version 9.3

Quote Originally Posted by ash_leo View Post
    Hello All,
    I want to know that if I develop an application say for example S60 3rd edition FP2 (OS V9.2). If I need to check all the devices on which I can install and run my application , what all specifications do I need to check? Is checking the OS version and developer platform enough?
    Also if the same application I need to install on a device with OS V9.3 how do I do it? As far as think I need to download the new SDK and write the entire application for the new OS version. Is that right?
    Do the APIs used change with the OS version or the developer platform(s60 or s40)?
    Depends on the APIs that your application is using. Sometimes some APIs are depreciated in the later OS versions and if your application is using the depreciated API then it might not work. you might need to check the release notes of each SDK for this info.

See yesterday's useful link in my signature, it has a chapter about SDK selection and a link to an SDK/device compatibility table. If you have futher questions, come back and ask.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hello ltomuta ,
    Sorry for the late reply.
    I cannot see the link in your signature.
    Can you tell which link I need to look into....please paste it in your reply.

Super Contributor

Don't you see a marquee flying aroung at the bottom of my posts? That's odd ...

Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/StartSymbian
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hello,
    After going through the link I have understood the following :
    The SDK varies with the developer platform . Every SDK has subreleases (feature packs) which have some device coverage. An application developed using S60 SDK FP2 can run on all devices covered by S60 SDK FP3 but not vice-versa. Is that right?

For Eg: If I have a application developed with S60 2nd edition it will cover all devices from 6600 to N90(as per the image in the link). Now if I have an application developed from S60 2nd edition FP2, it does not include 6600. so will my application run on 6600?

Regular Contributor

Hello All,
    Can anyone please answer my question...I hope it is clear what I want to ask.
    Please reply anyone..
    Waiting.

You have understood the situation correctly. Except that it is still possible (but not guaranteed) for an application built with S60 2nd Edition FP2 to work on S60 2nd Edition devices. It all depends on the APIs that were used for the application, if they are all available on the old device then the application will work howver if any minor tiny feature which is specific to S60 2nd Edition FP2 was used then the application will not work anymore on the older devices.
    -- Lucian

Super Contributor

Hello,
    After going through the link I have understood the following :
    The SDK varies with the developer platform . Every SDK has subreleases (feature packs) which have some device coverage. An application developed using S60 SDK FP2 can run on all devices covered by S60 SDK FP3 but not vice-versa. Is that right?
    yes you got it right.
    For Eg: If I have a application developed with S60 2nd edition it will cover all devices from 6600 to N90(as per the image in the link). Now if I have an application developed from S60 2nd edition FP2, it does not include 6600. so will my application run on 6600?
    yes and no. yes if you are not using newer apis that are available in 2nd edition FP2. But it is always suggested that you create separate sis files for each device classes.

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot for your reply .
    I have got it clear now.
    One more question ...What about the underlying OS? Does an application developed using a particular SDK run on all the devices which the SDK covers , irrespective of the underlying OS version.
    I also wanted to know about Nokia OS.
    Are applications made in Symbian OS compatible with new phones having Nokia OS?

Thanks a lot for your reply .
    I have got it clear now.
    One more question ...What about the underlying OS? Does an application developed using a particular SDK run on all the devices which the SDK covers , irrespective of the underlying OS version.
    I also wanted to know about Nokia OS.
    Are applications made in Symbian OS compatible with new phones having Nokia OS?
    Each SDK would be build on a specific OS version. So your query of "irrespective of the underlying OS version" does not arise.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply.
    And what about Nokia OS...how is it different from Symbian OS?

Super Contributor

And what about Nokia OS...how is it different from Symbian OS?
    AFAIK it is nokia's propitiatory OS that runs on S40 devices. other then t hat Nokia Experts can only tell you

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot a everyone for your replies.