Discussion Board

Question Allowing internal GPS - N95

I've been trying for a fairly long time now to enable my pys60 app to be allowed to use the positioning and location modules with no luck.

I have signed the PIPS installer and python shell on https://www.symbiansigned.com/ giving them all permissions. (unsure if that is acctually neccessary though).
    I can't sign the actual python runtime as symbian complains about wrong UID.

I've signed my tiny application aswell with all permissions, but when I try to run it I get "KErrPermissionDenied -46 An operation cannot be performed due to a potential security violation."

From what I understand, I need a python runtime with permissions to use the location and positioning modules, but how am I supposed to do this when it's allready signed with a UID?

Any help on this would be greatly appriciated, feels like I'm lost in a maze of links to tutorials etc explaining everything but how to acctually get the very foundations of location based applications working.

The code I tested with was this:
    Code:
    import location
    import positioning
    positioning.modules()

Super Contributor

Re: Allowing internal GPS - N95

What version of PyS60 are you using?

If it's 1.4.5 (or something similar) you don't need to sign the Python runtime, as it's already signed with all capabilities. All you have to do is sign the script shell (PythonScriptShell_1_4_5_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.SIS) with all the available capabilities (you only need Location but it is always good to have them all) and it should work.

If you're using 1.9.0 you're out of luck. The runtime cannot be signed by you (because of its UID) and only has the user-grantable capabilities, which does not include Location.

Yes I'm using 1.9.0, there is no way to selfsign apps for this version then?
    My phone is 3 edition FP1, would it be possible for me to use 1.4.5 or some other version with full access, with my phone and edition?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by duveit View Post
    Yes I'm using 1.9.0, there is no way to selfsign apps for this version then?
    It wouldn't do any good, since the Python runtime itself is only signed with the 5 basic capabilities (see this page for more info).

Quote Originally Posted by duveit View Post
    My phone is 3 edition FP1, would it be possible for me to use 1.4.5 or some other version with full access, with my phone and edition?
    Yes, absolutely. It's actually recommended to use 1.4.5 if you don't need anything from 1.9.0. Just download PythonForS60_1_4_5_3rdEd.sis and install it, and then download PythonScriptShell_1_4_5_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.SIS, sign it at https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/pa...ignedOnline.do with all capabilities and install it. Then your script will be able to access GPS and other features.
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2009-01-20 at 13:18.

Ok thanks! I'm installing it now then.

Now why didnt I do this sooner .., working flawlessy now.
    Got the usigned shell and pys60 runtime at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=644640 and signed the shell at https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/pa...ignedOnline.do and voila, I'm allowed to know where I am.

hi!
    I am attempting to do the same thing, however, when i try install the signed python shell it tells me: "UPDATE ERROR".
    I followed the instructions exactly as specified in this thread.
    Can u help?

Regards
    Luben Ivanchev

I forgot to mention the developer platform is: S60 3rd Edition, FP1
    thx

Cool Re: Allowing internal GPS - N95

Nokia N95 S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1

lol thats all i had to do!
    Thx 4 ur fast reply! u r a legend!
    Last edited by lubenivanchev; 2009-03-02 at 19:04.

Super Contributor

Did you remember to uninstall the old script shell before trying to install the one signed by you?

Also, note that there is an "Edit/Delete Message" button on your post so if you want to change or add small details to what you said before, you can just edit your post instead of making a new one
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2009-03-02 at 19:20.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lubenivanchev View Post
    hi!
    I am attempting to do the same thing, however, when i try install the signed python shell it tells me: "UPDATE ERROR".
    I followed the instructions exactly as specified in this thread.
    Can u help?

Regards
    Luben Ivanchev
    Hello Luben

Welcome to forum nokia Python dibo.

Just to add a bit to bogdans answer as you are beginner do have a look at the forum nokia wiki.

It has everything for a beginner.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88