Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

How to set the application icon if qmake overwrites the pkg file?

I'm developing a Qt app for S60 (3rd edition FP2) and I'd like to use my own application icon.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but the documentation seems to be conflicting. I've tried...

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...60_3rd_edition

and

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How_to_define_application_icon

...but neither works for me. I've tried creating my own SVGs and tried using the SVG file from an existing example app. I've also rebuilding from clean, restarting the phone, deleting the app and reinstalling, etc.

mifconv seems to work fine (and, yes, I've checked to make sure I've used the right file names and paths).

I guess the problem is that qmake is overwriting the pkg file(s). How can I set the values for the mif and mbm files (to use the bitmap example) if not in the pkg file?

Are there definitive instructions somewhere, explaining how to set a custom application icon?

Sam Dutton

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to set the application icon if qmake overwrites the pkg file?

Whatever qmake does generate is based on instructions found in the *.pro file. Your question becomes thus what statement should be added to *.pro that inserts the needed *.mif in the pkg file.

Until we find the answer to this question the workaround is to make a copy of the PKG file, edit it according to your needs and then call "createsis create <file>.pkg" in order to generate a self-signed package. (for advanced use cases see makesis.exe and signsis.exe)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Moderator

Solution #2: add an icon to all the Qt for S60 projects by modifying bool SymbianMakefileGenerator::generatePkgFile(const QString &compiler, const QString &config) in \qmake\generators\symbian\symmake.cpp
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

You can simply make changes to one of the generated package files and save it with a different name, then use the same 'createpackage' convenience script provided with the Qt for S60 releases.

There should be a way to add the necessary files to the .pkg via the DEPLOYMENT keyword in the .pro file but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. You could check to see if it's used in any of the examples/demos.

Mark

Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I still haven't managed to get this to work.

This is what I've done so far...

1. Followed the instructions for creating using bitmap icons here: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...plication_icon

2. Created a copy of my pkg file, added the following and saved:

"test.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\test_reg.mif"
    "test.mbm" -"!:\resource\apps\test_reg.mbm"

3. Ran createpackage on the new pkg file.

4. Deleted existing applications from my (N96) phone.

5. Copied the new application onto the phone, having changed some text to make sure it was actually the new version.

6. Turned off the phone and turned it on again.

I've done all this without errors, but the icon stays with the default 'jigsaw piece'.

Just a thought -- does it matter that the application is self-signed?

Hi,

Possibly your problem here is that the application registration file is also getting overwritten by qmake? It's certainly generated.

ICON handling seems to be somewhat platform specific in Qt, so I expect we'll get something easy to use in a future release.

It should be possible to hack around it in the way you're attempting though. Perhaps you'll have to create a copy of the app reg file and modify the package to install that one instead too?

Mark

P.S. No, self-signed is fine for changing icons.