Let's use this thread as the Q&A channel for the webinars on JAnuary 22nd.
Let's use this thread as the Q&A channel for the webinars on JAnuary 22nd.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
I missed the Webinar , was 4.00 AM in my country. Could someone put a summary or a link of the Webinar in this thread?
For those who attended the WRT plug-in webinar, we would like to thank you for your participation and feedback. Hope the session gave you some insights of the WRT technology and the plug-in.
For those who missed the webinar, you can find the recorded webinar link here:
Europe/Asia session: http://forumnokia.emea.acrobat.com/p44147885/
Americas session: http://forumnokia.emea.acrobat.com/p74536225/
Here is list of Question & Answers during the webinar. Thanks for the participants who contributed the questions. Please continue to post questions in this discussion board, we will answer your questions as soon as possible.
1.Does the widget always ask for permission to access phone data / network connection when user starts the widget? Can user "allow always" automatically? I haven't found any option for that yet..
* The prompts are currently shown based on the capabilities the script tries to access and based on the rules defined for different capability groups. Unfortunately there's no blanket permission for 'allow always' yet.
The rational behind the permission prompts is to protect the user from unauthorized access to their phone data/info. Refer here for more info about Web Runtime widget platform security, http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...tform_Security
We are constantly reviewing the security policy to protect the users and also provide the them the best user experience possible.
2. Will there be a market place for discovering/purchasing/downloading widgets?
* Widget is a way for your to distribute your existing web content to mobile users, thus the existing web site should be one important avenue for you to share and distribute your widgets to your web site users.
You can also distribute widgets at mobile content site, MOSH (http://mosh.nokia.com), where community members upload, distribute, find and manage content to be viewed and enjoyed on mobile devices
For the selected quality or premium widgets, they are distributed via Nokia channels like widsets.mobi/library and Download!. If you have good quality widgets, you can talk to Forum Nokia Developer Relations Manager or reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Which version of CSS works?
* Generally speaking, CSS2 properties are supported. The WebKit core in currently shipping S60 devices relates closely to Safari 2.
4. Is it possible to open an url inside the application?
* The WRT API has an openURL function to launch the device browser. Theoretically you can use document.location to set your widget html to point to other locations. Preferably, yoo should use AJAX to load data into your widget and render whatever you want to the main html file.
5. The SDK does not seem to have webkit functionality. On the device, it does work.
* Please provide info on the specific use case to the discussion board
6. As I can develop for safari or fireworks browsers. with fully animations with use of iui framework?
* Resource and perfomance issues do arise on some animations, but iUi should be fine.
7. Is the logic programming mades just using java script or more languages is stepped?
8. How do Idownload an easy to install emulator? I have one already but it doesnt run.
9. Is the emulator is very similar to real device or it has many limitation?
* The emulator is adequately similar to the real devices, but you should also consider testing your creation on a target device. Some limitations and differences between emulator and target devices are described in our wiki: wiki.forum.nokia.com
10. How do I embed flash lite content?
11. I want to display maps in my wrt widgets, I am using map24 webservices. S60 WRT does not seem to support Ajax and webservices??? or am I doing it wrong ???
* I haven’t tested map24 and WRT coexistence. Please open a discussion thread or a Forum Nokia technical support request for your problem.
12. What are the main differences between webkit desktop and webkit s60?
* Currently shipping S60 devices contain WebKit version 413, whereas the desktop versions of WebKit browsers incorporate a more recent WebKit core.
13. Are there some demos about security, like to stop a customer send the program to another one ?
* Please open a discussion board thread for this issue, explaining in detail what you would be looking for.
14. Do I need to be an expert on css, java script and html to start on wrt plataform?
* No, you don’t need to be an expert.
* You can use the HTML script tag src attribute to refer to a remote script.
16. Where we can find all the different things we can do with this widgets?
17. Where can I download Aptana? Is it free?
* You can find out more about Aptana at http://www.aptana.com. Aptana Sudio is available free of charge under an open souces licence.
For more info about WRT plug-in for Aptana, you can find it here, http://www.forum.nokia.com/Resources...Aptana_Plugin/
WRT plug-in for Aptana is free for charge.
18. What is the recommended max size for a widget?
*We don’t have a recommendation for this. You may bundle e.g. large media files in your widget package.
19. Does 5800 has a support to create remote drive?
* Please elaborate on the use case.
20. Does the emulator support embedded flash?
* The emulator does not currently support Flash.
21. If I use openURL command, is there anyway that I can invoke a browser of my choice instead of the default browser on the handset? To be specific, I want to invoke opera browser through openURL command.
* openURL always opens the native S60 browser.
22. To understand better what wrt is, isn't it similar to Adobe AIR platform ?
* Fundamentally the platforms are quite similar. Both approaches essentially include developing standalone applications with your web developer skills.
WRT is available today on millions of Nokia S60 phones, while Adobe AIR is not available yet on mobile devices.
23. How many potential customers I can have if I release a wrt app next month ?
*Currently, there are more than 18 Web Runtime devices announced and shipping in the market. These devices are used by millions of users and the number is growing fast.
WRT is a standard part of S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 and onwards devices. Thus the potential number of customers is growing rapidly.
Last edited by uptian; 2009-02-08 at 21:31.
Aptana only has WRT 1.0 plugin? The examples I find for camera require 1.1? What am I not doing right? Examples?
email me if you want to get notified when the Aptana plug-in v2 is available.
Last edited by Nokia Ron; 2009-05-15 at 21:09.
The answers are inadequate:
"3. Which version of CSS works?
* Generally speaking, CSS2 properties are supported. The WebKit core in currently shipping S60 devices relates closely to Safari 2."
what is not supported?
"5. The SDK does not seem to have webkit functionality. On the device, it does work.
* Please provide info on the specific use case to the discussion board "
I have posted a full example at: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=193311
"8. How do Idownload an easy to install emulator? I have one already but it doesnt run.
I work on a mac (why you have eclipse docs as an exe escapes me) and recently purchased VMWare anbd windows 7 installed from scratch and the emulator does not work. I had installed jdk1.6 and added the 1.6 info to the ini, and even downloaded and placed in my system32 dir the exact dll mentioned in the threads about the problem (even though I had different versions already). I uninstalled everything and started with jdk1.5 and still did not work. WTF?
"9. Is the emulator is very similar to real device or it has many limitation?
* The emulator is adequately similar to the real devices, but you should also consider testing your creation on a target device. Some limitations and differences between emulator and target devices are described in our wiki: wiki.forum.nokia.com"
The apatana emulator (the only one I could get working) is no where near what displays on the phone.
Sorry, but this has been a frustrating experience.