Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

"File Corrupted" error while uninstalling app in emulator.

I am developing a Symbian application using S60 3rd Edition FP1 with Carbide.c++ 2.0 IDE.

I built application for emulator and provided "Sign sis file with certificate/key pair" Signing Option in Build Configuration. In that I provide self sign certificate, key and password. I installed the application in emulator, using the built sis file, by opening the file using File/Open Menu. It installed application properly in the emulator and I can launch the application properly.

Now I want to uninstall the application. I tried to unsinstall it from App. Manager but it is showing me "File Corrupted" error. And Also I tried to uninstall it using "Options/Uninstall" and it showing me same error. Why it is so?

Now if I try to build the application for Emulator again it is building successfully and also I can debug the application. Even though the application resides in the Installed application after executing "Clean Project".

How I can uninstall the application from the emulator?
    Thanks & Regards

Manoj Prajapat

Regular Contributor

Re: "File Corrupted" error while uninstalling app in emulator.

I just tried the following and application uninstalled successfully from emulator.

Removed application exe file from Epoc32\winscw\c\sys\bin\

And than try to uninstall the application using Options->uninstall. The application successfuly removed from the emulator. Also aplication's install entry removed from the app. manager. Is there any problem to remove file from "c\sys\bin\" folder on emulator while uninstaller try to remove it?

Also is there any problem to uninstall application if we install application on c: drive on the device and copy application.exe file in the "sys\bin" folder?
    Thanks & Regards

Manoj Prajapat

Nokia Developer Moderator

Applications in the emulator are not installed (they are simply there), and this fact affects the uninstaller. Also note that applications in the emulator are running from drive z:, which is ROM, even in the emulator.
    And an important thing is that the location epoc32\release\winscw\udeb is not part of the file system of the emulator, since the root of emulated z: drive is epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\z, so applications running in the emulator can not modify contents of epoc32\release\winscw\udeb, where your .exe resides.

Regular Contributor

Hi wizard_hu_

Thanks for your reply.

Following are the steps I am following:

I built the application, the sis file is created successfully.
    Now I clean the project using "Clean Project". It removed all the files created by build process.

This is my pkg file section for copying the files.

"C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\application.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\application.exe"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\application.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\application.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\application.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\application.mif"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\application_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\application_reg.rsc"

Now I installed the application using sis file by "File\Open" option. The application.exe file is copied to "Epoc32\winscw\c\sys\bin\" location by sis file installer.

Now if I try to uninstall application there is "File Corrupted" error. But if I remove the exe file from above location or rename it than the application is uninstalling successfully.

So why un-installer not able to clean the application.exe file from "Epoc32\winscw\c\sys\bin\" location.
    Thanks & Regards

Manoj Prajapat