Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Start a exe on J2ME application start up

Hi All,

As per the Midlet Native Services framework , we should have a daemon which will run on device start up using EZBoot and listen to all the MIDP requests through socket. And they have instructed to package everything into sis file. Now my question is this daemon will be always running behind, Even if MIDLet doesnt needs daemon. Will this have any performance issue? Any chance that socket server may go down because of some reasons? which will break all communication between MIDlet and Native Code.

Is it possible to do this in reverse manner package application as JAR i.e JAR will include the exe of the daemon and when JAR is installed, exe will also be deployed.(Not sure we can include exe in JAR of mobile application)? I was just trying to understand as S60 has J2ME support so a application can be JAR installation also.

In case of both the approaches, we have both MIDLet and exe on Phone. Now Can I make the daemon run on J2ME application start up instead of device start up and shut down on application exit?

Please provide your opinion.

Thanks in advance,
    Sandeep

Regular Contributor

Re: Start a exe on J2ME application start up

Hi,

Got some info on forum, so just posting here if somebody reads this thread. We can't start exe from J2ME. But we can start the application on boot or make another Symbian exe to start the exe we want.

Best regards,
    Sandeep

Super Contributor

Re: Start a exe on J2ME application start up

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepkumar03 View Post
    Now my question is this daemon will be always running behind, Even if MIDLet doesnt needs daemon. Will this have any performance issue? Any chance that socket server may go down because of some reasons? which will break all communication between MIDlet and Native Code.
    No performance issues. Unless there is any bug in your application, I can't think of any reason for it to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepkumar03 View Post
    Is it possible to do this in reverse manner package application as JAR i.e JAR will include the exe of the daemon and when JAR is installed, exe will also be deployed.(Not sure we can include exe in JAR of mobile application)? I was just trying to understand as S60 has J2ME support so a application can be JAR installation also.
    In case of both the approaches, we have both MIDLet and exe on Phone. Now Can I make the daemon run on J2ME application start up instead of device start up and shut down on application exit?
    As you already said, jar cannot install/start exe. But I have read somewhere about a feature of Symbian (may be using Active objects and server-client architecture) where server exits if last client is disconnected and server starts when first client is connected... I think same thing may be achieved using it...